Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Captured enemy aircraft in the courtyard of Les Invalides

Article about: Just come across this fantastic photograph and thought I'd share it with you. Don't know anything more about it other than its title. Cheers, Ian.

Default Captured enemy aircraft in the courtyard of Les Invalides

Just come across this fantastic photograph and thought I'd share it with you. Don't know anything more about it other than its title.

Cheers,

Ian.

Looks like it may be an Etrich Taube for a guess. I have a feeling this one may be extant in a museum somewhere.

Edit: Actually not this one, but there are examples of the type in museums in Vienna and Berlin according to Wiki.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Very early photo in the war as the 'Doves' weren't operational types for very long before being reduced to training planes-unarmed, low top speed and barely flyable by even the standards of WW1 aircraft...

?

Great pic

This is probably the same airplane. According to what's written on the back it was captured in the Meuse Department and displayed at Invalides. Five Rumpler Taubes, which I think this particular airplane is, were captured by French cavalry on 25 September 1914. The airplane on display might be one of them. Dwight

Quite a pretty plane that one.

Great photos!......

Hey great find Drmessimer! It's the same plane taken at a different angle judging by the arches behind it. I agree Kradspam, a very beautiful looking aircraft.