Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 83 of 121 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

?

Alan and Albert are no relation (although my brother-in-law's name is Albert), but that is not him being referenced. My grandfather only had a daughter, Edith, who is still alive and well and living in Brooklyn. My grandfather died in NY, but was buried in NJ.

The following may interest you. From the "Frankfurter Israelitisches Familienblatt" 9 March 1917: Basically says, Ludwig Schwarzschild, currently on a submarine, first and second class was awarded with the Oldenburg Friedrich August cross."

About the two pictures referenced in the previous posts. I have seen those pictures my whole life and now you are making me second guess that I don't know my grandfather

I do not know who the lady is that stated my grandfather never had a mustache, but in the years I knew him he had a mustache most of the time. I always assumed the clean shaven picture of him in the first post, sitting on the ground was taken when they made the first trip, and the second picture was taken after he had been at sea and decided to grow the mustache, and that picture identifying him as the sailor in the black shirt was mislabeled. I am going to send the picture to my sister and brother-in-law and see if they can figure this out. My mom is 91 years old and doesn't have a computer, so I can't check with her at the moment. I will get back to you on this. Boy will I be embarrassed if I don't know my own grandfather!

Cool

Howie,

It is soooo interesting that you mention having doubt about your grandfather. Just yesterday, I was looking at old family photos when I ran across an image taken in 1923 of my own grandfather. I absolutely would not have recognized him from that photo. However, now that it has resurfaced, it will give me a better idea of how to identify him in one of those wide and thin panoramic regimental poses that he said he was shown in at a nearby veteran's shrine.

Some folks retain their looks from childhood while looking at others the comments might arise as "No Way! That Can't Be Them!!!

Another possibility might be that who ever numbered the individuals in that Locust Point EFCO pier image may have made a few slight errors in his or her ID'g too. Having more post-war images to make our comparisons would be extremely helpful I'd think.

But please allow me to add that we are thrilled that you've chosen to share your grandfather's history with us. Of that you should have no doubt. Proverbs 12:1 (one of my favourites)

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    This is from the 1937 edition and shows the U-Deutschland surfacing. This is a photo in which the Germans used the real boat rather than just any U-boat surfacing. The U-Deutschland can be easily recognized by the shape of her conning tower.

Dwight
    When the image above is enlarged it looks very much like the frame work structure above the conning tower's bridge could serve to support a smallish wedge tent for protection against rain showers. Notice the horizontal ridge pole?

Wink

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    StBaltimore: I wrote that Paul König took the remaining Iron Cross examples back to Germany in 1932 because I didn't know that he had made any previous postwar trips. I'm surprised that he did. Could you please post your sources for those earlier trips? That would be very useful information for me, but I have to have the source(s) to use it. Thanks.

According to the material Claas sent me, it was Paul König who took the remaining examples back to Germany. Nothing else was suggested or even hinted at. Dwight
    It would be interesting if you could share the source that Claas provided you back in January relative to Captain Konig taking the souvenir paperweight crosses back to Germany in 1932, Dwight.

Newspaper accounts show that Paul Koenig arrived in the United States on April of 1924 aboard the S.S. COLUMBUS. In July of 1929, he made the four day, seventeen hour and twenty-four minute Blue Riband crossing aboard S.S. BREMEN. He crossed again on EUROPA with the average speed of 27.91 knots and a crossing time of 4 days, 17 hours and 6 minutes. Yet another Blue Riband crossing! This time it was in March of 1930. He made another crossing on EUROPA during October of 1931 but no Blue Riband this time. In fact, the BREMEN would recapture this award in 1933 the year our Captain Koenig passed away. The 1932 crossing would have brought our good captain over on no-less-than five trans-Atlantic crossings since 1916.

?

The mystery continues. After talking with my sister and brother-in-law, looking at other old pictures, and blowing up the picture quite large in a graphics program here is the new finding. First, we all agree (everyone in my family) that the gentleman in the black shirt is not my grandfather, but if you look closely at the person I now will say is my grandfather he looks a lot like the man I originally thought was him, yet a younger version (which makes sense). I never noticed him before because I always assumed it was the man in the first row. I am learning much this week :-)

Howie: I really appreciate your attempt(s) to identify your grandfather in these photographs. We certainly can't, and we know it is difficult to discerne a face that has changed so much in nearly 100 years, even the face of a relative. So don't feel badly about not being sure. In so far as I am concerned, I'm happy that you're still among us on the forum and doing your best to provide useful material. This post could very well be right. The face could be that of a 20 year old man, but it has been so long since I was 20 that I couldn't possibly be sure. Stay with it my friend because we are all interested in this arcane subject. The Best to you Howie, Dwight

?

Here is one of the pictures we used to help determine who my grandfather is. If you notice, both him and his crew mate do not have mustaches in the one picture, but both have mustaches in the group shot (or it could be a shadow line). But based on the rest of the of the facial features, head shape, jaw line, nose, ears, etc. I am pretty certain that my grandfather is the man I last indicated in the group shop. Until of course, I believe something else :-)

Port side torpedo tubes from Post No. 40 -

Quote by UBremen View Post
    :

... and now the starboard side shown in Post'g No. 812.

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    ... I came across a photo of the U-155 (In the book The U-boat Offensive 1914-1945 by V.E. Tarrant, page 52). ... torpedo tubes on the side are rarely if ever seen... By the way, what is that black spot on the stern?

Might the black spot (including the grey sweeps to give it depth of curve) have been painted on the stern of U-155 to make it appear, to the not-so-trained eye, that she also had stern tubes at the time?

We thank you both for providing these images.

Thumbs up

My word Howie! Another unique, albeit heretofore unknown-to-this-group Baltimore pier image (post'g 827), has made it to the light of Internet day. Huzzah! I see the "Merchant U-Boat" being a greatly expanded 2nd edition on account of contributions provided by the members of this forum.

PS to Dwight... Susan Brook of USNI mentioned that she'd provide me with a copy of your manuscript for pre-pub review should you give her the OK. I could sashay down to Crabtown and pick it up this every day. What say ye?

Cool

Here are the highest at-one-time stats for this thread today - so far:

__________________________________________________ ____________

There are currently 63 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 60 guests)

STBaltimore, rudolph+ drmessimer+
    __________________________________________________ ____________

I think Howie's latest image to this marvelous thread was the reason for the influx... what do you think?

Page 83 of 121 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast