Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 84 of 121 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 94 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Howie: Thank you for the new information and keeping us all updated. They do look alike and I can easily see mixing them up.

Luke

Hi Guys, this is one of the very best threads on the forum in my opinion. Just look at the number of views it has had!

I am sure that this misunderstanding can be worked out in private. I am certain everyone only had the best of intentions. So I am going to remove a few posts so everyone can chill out and work things out via PM.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Lightbulb A Weighted Mystery in Our Very Midsts

A local acquaintance of mine recently informed me that he has three U-DEUTSCHLAND iron cross paperweights but has no intentions of trading even one of them. However, the most interesting thing is that he also has another U-D iron cross without the inserted coins.

I say coins (as in two of them) because there is a lip running around the interior, and in the centre of the paperweight's hole, which may indicate that two coins could have been inserted, one on either side of the of the cross - not just one thick one.

If this be the case, my next question would have to be - were each of these coins struck only on one side and then inserted into the crosses? Seems that it would be a much easier process to employ a top and bottom die in making both sides of the coin inserts. It also mints the coins in half the time it would take to create two strikes.

As I 'still' have no such coin or paperweight in my possession (never had dreamed that I'd ever want to become a collector, but, in this case, I was somewhat mistaken) my acquaintance calmly added that Han's Schuler's initials are added to the coin just below Captain Koenig's shirt collar.

Can anyone verify this for us please?

Now the question to me would be:

1. Did Schuler whip up the dies and have them shipped back to Germany for minting?

2. Did Schuler have the dies made here and mint the coins to be inserted when a batch of freshly cast iron crosses came back across the Atlantic?

3. Did all of the physical production take place in Germany and brought back to America on the subsea freighter's 2nd trip across the Atlantic?

4. Did both the crosses and the coins immediately go into production in America, especially from some of the ballast taken off U-DEUTSCHLAND and placed aboard the barge GEORGE MAY at Baltimore harbor?

Although a friend of mine remembers his father saying that the paperweights were brought over on the U-DEUTSCHLAND'S trip to New London, I'm not thoroughly convinced of that somewhat romantic version.

What might bring to light, for the first time in nearly one hundred years, if one of the two coins in one of an iron cross paperweight just happened to fall out - much like what seemed to have happened to my acquaintance's holier-than-thou paperweights. He had acquired his coin-less paperweight with no explanation attached, so I'd suppose that one of us who possesses a coined cross holds the key to solving this little mystery.

Enjoy

Might we perhaps see the rest of the image showing your grandfather and his pard?
    I'd like to see who belongs to that straw hat over in the left hand side of the image.

The image above also helps to visually fill in the upper section of McLean's Andre street pier near where the gate was situated. Thanks again for sharing this great shot.

On your comparision image ID'g, however, I have reviewed Post 83 once more and now wonder whether the person standing next to your Grandfather in the pier head image above is Fritz Humke or another crew member named Schneider?

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    I know you guys have seen these before and I'm sure one of them is already posted somewhere in here. These are a couple of my favorite crew photos. Luke
    Attachment 540737Attachment 540738
    These are a couple of my favorites too Luke but ought to be especially so to Howie who's Grandfather Schwarzchild appears sitting second in from the right.

?

Very interesting input, STBaltimore.
    As others have mentioned, this is one of the most interesting threds here in a long time - the aspect of the subs and those manning them is very intriguing to say the least.
    I must say, that Ive followed this thread with interest and leap at any updates. May it continue for much longer and may we learn even more.

Re: Deutschlabd Cross The subject has been accurately covered with regard to who received the ballast, who made the cross, and the final disposition of the remaing crosses. The sources for the information are also provided. For those who did not see that information on page 78, Post #775, here it is again.

While the Deutschland was in Baltimore, Captain Paul König arranged to donate an unspecified amount of the boat’s cast iron ballast to two wartime Charity organizations, one of which was the Baltimore Chapter of the Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA). The Baltimore VDA operated a registered wartime charity headquartered in New York called the American Relief Committee for Widows and Orphans of the War in Germany. The Baltimore VDA was part of a worldwide organization that was headquartered in Berlin. The VDA exists in Germany today as the Verein für Kulturbeziehung im Ausland with headquarters in Sankt Augustin.

The Baltimore sculptor, Hans Schuler, designed the cross for the American Relief Committee for Widows and Orphans of the War in Germany under the auspices of the Baltimore VDA, and the Baltimore ironworks known as G. Krug and Son cast the crosses. The crosses were used to solicit donations to the American Relief Committee for Widows and Orphans of the War in Germany either through direct sales or by giving the crosses as gifts to potential big pockets donors.

The Baltimore VDA retained possession of the entire stock of crosses in Baltimore and functioned as the sales agent and distribution authority in the name of the Committee for the Aid of Widows and Orphans of the War in Germany. It was a straight forward and legitimate fund raising arrangement. After the United States declared war on Germany in April 1917, the Baltimore VDA, fearing wartime reprisals and confiscation of the organization’s assets, hid the crosses for the duration. At some time between the end of the war and 1932, Paul König returned to Baltimore and took possession of the entire lot of crosses and took them back to Germany where he turned them over to the VDA chapter in Bremen, which used the crosses as member awards until sometime in WWII.

Another interesting feature is that the maker of the crosses, G. Krug and Son is the oldest Iron works factory in the United States and has been doing business in the same location since 1810. Dwight

Sources:
    Petra Messbacher, Geschäftsfüherin VDA e.V., Sankt Augustin email, 25 September 2013
    Patrick Cutter, Museum Director, G. Krug and Son, Baltimore, email 24 September 2013
    Records of the Department of State, RG59, M367, 763.7114/2670, List of Alien Charitable Organizations, 22 April 1917
    Urkunde, VDA an Friedrich Tanger, März 1937, Claas Stöckmeyer, Bremen

With regard to Hans Schuler's initials being on the front medallion below König's collar I offer this close up for your examination. Dwight

My son recently sent me this photo taken of the Deutschland on the morning on 17 November 1916, several hours after she rammed and sank the tug T.A. Scott, Jr, killing the tugs entire crew. The Deutschland is returning to her berth at the State Pier in New London. The white marks on her hull appear to paint transfers from the deck house put there when the Deutschland sliced through the tug as she rolled onto her beam ends. Dwight

Back to the Deutschland cross for a moment, I cleaned up the front medallion and used a really strong glass in oblique light. Sure enough there they are there. But they aren't below the collar. The initials are to the rear of the collar and in the sunken area beneath the flag. In the photograph they appear to be a squiggle, maybe a flaw. But they are definitely the initials HS, Hans Schuler. Dwight

Exclamation

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    The question now is whether or not those ashes ever made it back to Germany sometime after the armistice was signed on November 11, 1918.

Maybe you can help on your end of the issue. If Dwight can produce a few answers to these questions, e.g. where was Prusse born and where was he and/or his family living in German at the time of his death, this might help. The records might then be traces using a post-war timeline.
    And this just might be what is happening as we speak, viz:

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    ...from the Muster Roll of the German cargo submarine Deutschland for her June-July 1916 Atlantic crossing to Baltimore.

See entry No. 28 on the crew roster in the link above for more details.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It says "Gr. Peiskerau", short for "Groß-Peiskerau". This is a village in Silesia, now Polish and known as Piskorzów.

Forschungsgruppe Ohlau: Gro Peiskerau (=Alt Peiskerau) Kreis Ohlau
    Piskorzów - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Danke Gents! Now we may possibly be able to find out if the remains of Herr Prusse ever made it back home.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 11-06-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Moe info

Page 84 of 121 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 94 ... LastLast