Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 87 of 121 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 97 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

I'd like to revisit Zuke's contribution and continue working with Howie with what we've found in two accounts on Ludwig Schwarzschild:

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    Attachment 314559Gentlemen,
    Sorry for joining this thread so late, but I was unaware it was taking place until STBaltimore called me at home on 2/25/12...
    1. "Image side of the February, 1917 photo [post]card to my aunt, Betty Loewenstein (1904-1995).

"The note is signed "Uncle Karl".

"The captain and crew of the commercial submarine "Deutschland" were heroes in Germany.

"Momentos of the boat's first voyage were available to the public.

"The sender of this card wasn't necessarily connected to the crew but it is known that one crewman, a mechanic Ludwig Schwarzschild from Massenheim, was a distant cousin and friend of the Löwenstein family.

"Can anyone help pick out Ludwig Schwarzschild in the group?"

"The inscription says: "Captain Koenig with his officers and the crew on board of the freight submarine Deutschland after entering the mouth of the river Weser."

Source: ViewMate - Image Archive, Image 21654 - Do you recognize? - Germany - Wallau, Hessen-Nassau - Lowenstein and Schwarzschild - Circa 1916

2. "The German merchant submarine Deutschland brought more with her than a thrilling story of the sea to Joseph Schwarzschild, representative of Goodman & Cobrin [625 Broadway, NYC], manufactuers of infants wear, to whom the arrival of the undersea liner meant also the arrival of a twenty-two year old brother, who is engineer of the vessel. Mr. Schwarzchild visited his brother on Sunday last."

The Corset and Underwear Review August, 1916, Page 80

?

I did post a picture where I pointed out who my family believes was my grandfather, Ludwig. The man near the top on the right hand side, below the man whose elbow is bent. The man with the floppy hat has his arm on his shoulder.

Karl Schwarzschild was a brother of my grandfather. The Karl Schwarzschild I am referencing is NOT the physicist of the time who discovered black holes and worked on theories of Einstein. That Karl Schwarzschild died during the war I believe.

The passage from The Corset and Underwear Review of August, 1916 simply blows my mind. I spoke with my mother recently, who is in her nineties and has a faulty memory, and she was not sure exactly how many siblings my grandfateher had. She knew, and told me about Karl, and she knew and told me about his sister Martha, but I never heard about Joseph!

Time for me to dig deeper into my family history. This forum just keeps amazing me!

?

Quote by UBremen View Post
    Gentelmen,
    here are a picture showing the crew in New London. Did anyone can find Mr. Schwarzschild?

regrads

Claas

This is like Finding Waldo! Quite amusing.

As I said in an earlier post I like to know as much about the Deutschland artifacts in my collection as possible. David Schenkman, a numismatist, who also has one of the Deutschland crosses, gave me this information regarding the embedded medallions or medals. Dave's source is Vernon Taylor’s Catalog of Hans Schuler’s work. The catalog entry says, “the embedded Deutschland medals consist of brass-plated white-metal shells that were struck separately and set in cast depressions on the two sides of the Iron Cross.” So, the medallions, or medals, are not solid brass as many of us assumed but are plated white metal discs. Dwight

We started out discussing artifacts and memorabilia connected with the Deutschland, and pretty well covered the field. But there is one aspect of collecting Deutschland-related items about which we have not gone into much detail --the book The Voyage of the Deutschland.

Ostensibly written by Paul König, the book was actually ghost written by a journalist, Ernst Bischoff who worked in the German Foreign Office. He had been assigned the job when the boat left Kiel on 13 July 1916. The Foreign Office provided the slant and talking points Bischoff was to use and kept him well supplied with news reports from the United States while the Deutschland was in Baltimore. By the time Bischoff went aboard the Deutschland on her return to Helgoland, the book lacked only the personal touch that König and his log could provide. The ghost writer remained aboard the boat for a week before returning to Berlin on 1 September with the completed manuscript.

On 15 September 1915, Baynard Hale, Hearst's agent in Berlin, secured the North American rights to the book for the Hearst International Library, but a rival publisher, the New York American, had already obtained a pirated copy of the manuscript and was running weekly serial installments of the book in its Sunday edition. Despite the breach, Hearst went ahead with the publishing deal.

Two manuscripts, one in German and the other in English, arrived in New London in November aboard the Deutschland. The first books printed were a limited, 500-book, special edition that featured an inserted signed photograph of Paul König. The run for these special editions books was 250 each in English and German. The standard editions, identical in every respect except for the signed, inserted photogragh, quickly followed and by the time the United States declared war on Germany on 6 April 1917, 25,000 copies had been sold.
    The U.S. 5x8-inch hardback copies sold for $1.25 The 1916 German 4x6.25-inch stiff paperback editions sold for 1 Reichsmark and the slightly larger 4.5x6.5 inch hardback 1917 edition sold for 2 Reichmarks, reflecting wartime economic conditions.

The book was primarily propaganda intended to spread the message that the British blockade was "illegal" and that German engineers had devised a way to make a mockery of the blockade--the cargo submarine. The propaganda message is a bit thicker and more heavy-handed in the English edition, but the German edition makes the same points.

But like the Boat itself, there was more to the book than met the eye. When Hearst International Library obtained the rights to the book in September 1916, it was stipulated that all profits were to go to the Deutsche Ozean Reederei pension fund for "Widows and Orphans of the Submarine Service." The fact was that no such fund existed because DOR was simply a front that had been set up by a German naval intelligence section called the Etappendienst. The so-called pension fund was the brain child of Paul G. L. Hilken, who with his father, Henry Hilken were the DOR agents in Baltimore. The fund was actually intended to provide cash for Paul Hilken's sabotage cell activities and work disruptions among railroad and dock workers.

But there is no honor among thieves, and no royalties were ever paid on the U.S. sale of the books because Hearst International Library posted a loss. In response, Hilken and a former Hearst employee, James L. Perkins, set up a publishing company after April 1917 called The Deutschland Library, and tried to get the publishing rights from Hearst, which Hearst refused to release. Notably, Hilken was the treasurer of the DOR pension fund for the "Widows and Orphans of the Submarine Service."

There are six editions of The Voyage of the Deutschland, four published by Hearst International Library in the United States in 1916 and two published by Ulstein in Germany in 1916 and 1917. With one exception, the German language editions are titled Die Fahrt der Deutschland. The exception is, Fahrten der U-Deutschland im Weltkrieg, published by Ulstein in Germany in 1937. It is a reprint of the earlier books with a few very minor changes and is directed solely at German readers. It is a 5x8 inch hardback that features higher quality photos than those used in the wartime editions and minor textual changes which actually make it a more useful reference source. Dwight

The first 500 U.S. editions, 250 in English and 250 in German, had this photo inserted on the title page.

This is an example of the Hearst U.S. standard edition with dust cover

This is an example of the Hearst U.S. edition in German. Other than the inserted photo in the 500-run special edition, all U.S. editions are idntical and look like this with a red cover and gold lettering.

This is an example of the 1916 edition published in Germany. It is a stiff paper binding that reflects the wartime conditions in Germany. Only the Hearst editions appeared in true hard back bindings during the war.

This is the 1917 German edition that has been spiffied up with a new cover design, but the text inside is unchanged

This is the 1937 edition that featured a different title, slightly changed text, and vastly better photographs.

Do you have all of the various editions,Dwight? I see that abebooks.com is listing a 1916 Hearst edition with the laid in inscribed photo of Konig for $49.95. A pretty fair price, I would think, if one were looking for it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wagriff: The only edition that I don't have is the special edition in English, and Yes, $49.95 is a reasonable price for one of the special editions, probably top dollar at the moment, but climbing. Thanks for that information; I'm going to take a look at it now. Dwight

Gentlemen,

don't forget the

German edtion as shown as the second to last, but hard paper cover, not canvas cover
    Hungarian edition, Budapest, Athenaeum 1917 (not in my collection)
    Dutch edition, W. ten Have,Amsterdam 1916,
    Icelandic edition, translated by Guðbrandur Jónsson (not in my collection)
    Swedish edition, Albert Bonniers Förlg, Stockholm 1916
    Danish edition, Forlagt af H. Aschehoug & Co., Kjøbenhavn 1916
    South-american edition, by Martin Schneider, Casilla Correro 518, Buenos Aires, 1917
    Modern Russian edition, St. Petersburg, 1995
    and:
    the British edition! Translated by Vivien Ellis, London 1917, C. Arthur Pearson Ltd. Henrietta Street. (not in my collection)

Maybe there are some more in the world we don't know.

And of course some new reprinted editions.

From the Ullstein paperback editon are existing two differnt covers:

Regards
    Claas

Claas: Interesting list. I probably should amend my post to reflect that my collection represents the primary reader market in 1916. I heard about a British edition and wondered how it came to be published during the war since a manuscript wasn't sent to them. My guess is that the British translator used a published edition from another source. It would be interesting to see the the page that shows the copyright, not that the British would have been terribly concerned about copyright in 1917. I wonder how well or poorly it sold? If you have any information on it, could you please post it? Thanks for the good information. Dwight

Wink On Making a Paperweight History

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Vernon Taylor’s Catalog of Hans Schuler’s work... entry [states that], “the embedded Deutschland medals consist of brass-plated white-metal shells that were struck separately and set in cast depressions on the two sides of the Iron Cross.”
    Good to know that my friend was correct in his assessment, to wit: that there were actually two coins (or coin-like) disks set into each iron cross. I suppose a few more questions that could be asked might be:

1. whether or not each coin was singularly minted with only one or both sides struck,

2. if they really were shells as asserted in Taylor's catalogue and not solid coinage,

3. if the brass-plating was applied to both sides of the white metal castings/strikings, and,

4. if we ever discover that these coin-like inserts are actually shells, how thick those shells might be.

I thank Dwight muchly for following up on the lead I provided in posting no. 833.

Now if can only find the two coins/shells missing from my friend's see-through iron cross, we'll have solved another part of the Mystery.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 11-21-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added more information to post

Page 87 of 121 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 97 ... LastLast