Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 90 of 121 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 100 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Luke: What a great "instant collection." Your pendant is also a Hans Schuler, Sr. design, stamped by Interboro Badge & Medal Co., NYC for the American Relief Committee for the German Widows and Orphans of the War in Germany. When you have a chance, post your other Deutschland cross side-by-side with this one. Good stuff. Dwight

Dwight: I'm very happy with my "instant collection." I'd been wanting to pick up some Deutschland items for a while and I can't believe that I got so many at once! I'm still trying to clean up the one cross and when I'm done with it I'll post it here. It's about as good as it's going to get. I also have another ashtray on the way from the U.K.

Luke

Dwight: Here's the two together.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Here's some before and after pictures. As you can see it was in very rough shape. Using some Brasso, oil, and some hot water here are the results. I believe it had been neglected for many many years.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and ModelCargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

?

I have never seen the badges you are referring to, nor has anyone in my family. Other than the handful of medals, medallion, books and belt buckle I have already posted, the only other item he saved was a silver cigarette case he was given in the city of Wiesbaden. Having had to leave Germany when Hitler took power, and relocating first to France, then Columbia, and then coming to the United States he unfortunately had to discard many personal effects. I would not be surprised if he was at the event because he often talked about the many parties and receptions he attended while in Baltimore. It is sad that when I was young I did not have the same interest in his experience as I do today. Although he talked about events in general terms, I never pressed him for details.

Howie: That was an interesting short bio of your family history that makes me want to hear more. As for no one in your family recalling anything about the badges about which Walt posted, I am not surprised since they were probably nothing more than party favors. But Walt did raise a point, which is what happened to the gifts and favors that the crewmen received that had real value? For example, the Baltimore chapter of the Verein für Deutschtum im Ausland gave every crew member an Iron Cross ring; do any of your family members recall seeing your Grandad's ring? If you have time, could you please repost the belt buckle? I don't recall seeing it. Dwight

?

I am sorry, I didn't mean belt buckle, but the U-Boat seaman's badge as can be seen here https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/milit...el-bucklef.jpg

From talks with my grandfather before he died it seems he had to leave many personal items behind when he left Germany. He had to make a fairly quick exit from Germany once Hitler gained dictatorial power in 1933 because not only was my grandfather Jewish, he was also a member of the communist party, two groups that were being highly targeted by the Hitler regime. He settled in Paris for a few years, but then his name was drawn in a lottery as persons to be deported so he moved to Bogota. He saw the handwriting on the wall, and felt he would not be safe anywhere in Europe. Unfortunately, my grandmother had problems adjusting to Bogota's altitude and eventually, under a doctor's advisement, they left Bogota and came on the Santa Lucia to New York. The Santa Lucia was then put into service shortly afterwards by the Navy (I believe as a military transport) and sunk a year later.

Howie: Thanks for that additional information, which is really interesting. If ever you have time, it would be interesting and definitely worth while to develop a short bio about your grandfather that spells out some of the details of his experiences both in Germany prior to his escape and later. For example, it would be interesting to know what difficulty he experienced getting out of Germany, and The French lottery for deportation would be particularly interesting. Knowing that your grandfather was a Deutschland crewmember and something of his later experiences adds a new dimension to the boat's history. Thanks for that post. Dwight

Cool An Observation Made By Captain Owen Coleman, DEUTSCHLAND'S Chesapeake Pilot

The Seafarer who laid the course for the famous German submarine DEUTSCHLAND up and down the Chesapeake Bay now holds the honor of being Baltimore's oldest active pilot...

Because of World War I, numerous rumors flowed about... U-DEUTSCHLAND'S trips and the Navy urged Captain [Samuel Owen] Coleman to find out what type of paint the large subwater craft used.

"The paint changed color when it hit the water," the friendly bespeckled pilot recollects, but I couldn't find out what was in it. It was plenty strange though."

From a November, 1950 newspaper article interview with Captain Samuel "Owen" Coleman, entitled "Piloted The DEUTSCHLAND" written by Helen Delich, later the Honorable Helen Delich Bentley.

P.S. Helen just celebrated her 90th birthday this past November and I was very pleased to have been present to help her celebrate.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 01-27-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Excerpted more of the article text

Page 90 of 121 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 100 ... LastLast