Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 92 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    I came across an interesting historical note ... Simon Lake..., the Hilkens, and Norddeutsche Lloyd formed a company to build cargo submarines in the United States for Germany. That much is well documented.

In a fairly recent book by Norman Polmar and Kenneth J. Moore, Cold War Submarines: The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines, Brassy's 2004, the authors suggest that the idea for the cargo U-boat might have originated in 1909 when Simon Lake had dinner with Alfred Lohmann (p. 224) and goes on to say that on her 1916 maiden voyage the U-Bremen was "reportedly carrying financial credits for Simon Lake to begin building cargo submarines for Germany." (p. 225)

I'm working on tracking down Polmar's sources on the 1909 dinner and the financial credits. Dwight
    Any success on this front recently?

I have a hunch but it will have to wait and see if anyone can come up with a better image than that which you see below.

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    My hunch is that if we can get a clearer image of the above, we may find that the whitish half-circle just aft of the double cable stanchion support is painted with the lettering DEUTSCHLAND. Until we obtain a high resolution image to compare, you may feel free to move about the decks, the smoking lamp is lighted in all designated spaces.

Is this sharp enough?
    It shows U-Deutschland entering the port of Helgoland after her first trip.

Regards
    Claas

?

That is pretty sharp!

Great photo Claas. Dwight

Good work everyone. What caught my eye was the bent up metal bar in front of the smokers right boot. It makes you start to think.... Not to hard,... but just a little...
    Steve

Steve: I have wondered what that thing is too. I think it's a thin metal cover over something below the casing and the steel arch over it is a guard to keep people from stepping on it. There is one forward on the starboard side, shown in the photo, and another aft on the port side, shown in the photo below. Both locations are the approximate locations of the forward and after auxiliary bilge pumps (see drawing below). The drawing, taken from Rössler, is not entirely accurate, which makes a positive identification impossible. For a long time I thought, because of the apparently thin metal, that it was the hydrophone head cover, but I now don't think that is the case. The radio room is just forward of the CT on the starboard side, which is about where the hydrophone head would normally be located in a boat like the Deutschland. Dwight

Thanks for the much clearer image Claas. As to the current hump speculation, I can not tell about the 'restricted entry hatch' near the stern but I would say that, whatever else could have been accomplished using the foremost limited use entry, the forward access would also have likely been utilized to pay in the U-liner's supply of anchor chain.

Default Henry G. Hilken Image

Here's an image of Henry G. Hilken, the Dean of Baltimore Shipping taken in 1909.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Thumbs up EFCO'S New London Mystery Solved!

- - ------- - -

DEUTSCHLAND'S TENDER HERE

"The power launch EFCO, formerly named the LLOYDS, arrived yesterday [May 22rd 1917] from New London, Conn., where it was taken from this port to act as a tender to the German merchant submarine DEUTSCHLAND when her headquarters were transferred from Baltimore.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/asset...2&d=1381447672

The LLOYDS' name was changed to EFCO, which is the contractor for the Eastern Forwarding Company under which agency the visits of the DEUTSCHLAND were made to American ports. As the LLOYDS, the launch was used here by the North German Lloyd steamers before the war.

Capt. Edwin F. Greene was the navigator who brought the boat through the inland waterways to Baltimore."

Page 92 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 ... LastLast