Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Claas: That's a terrific photo. Thanks for posting it. Claas sent me a scan of page 80 from Eberhard Rössler’s, Die deutschen U-Kreuzer und Transport-U-Boote in which it says that on 5 September 1917, following her first war patrol, the U-155 underwent an extensive rework, which included removing the exterior lattice tubes and replacing them with interior bow tubes. That information dispels all doubts I had about whether or not Horatio Bottomley actually bought the former U-Deutschland. Obviously he did buy it, and the artifacts his organization, John Bull, produced from the boat’s metal are genuine. Claas, thanks a million for clearing up that question. Dwight

Hello,

here are the pictutres:
    The Horatio Bust No.31

The Brooch No. 14
    front side

back side

The Spoon No. 26
    front

back

Walking stick No.15 (shown without stick)
    from top

from side

The magazine cigarette case No.6

The tray No.4

Regarts
    Claas

Claas: Those are terrific. I haven't found any of the John Bull items on the market in the US for several years. All I see now are postcards, and they are all about the same. My guess is that whatever is still out there is probably in the UK. I'll try to get some things off to you per email today. Dwight

Excellent post and well put together and very historic!!

And now for something completely different:
    Small mini movies of the Deutschland:

1. U-Deutschland arraving Baltimore

2. U-Deutschland leaving New London

3. U-Deutschland at Ramsgate

4. THE BASUTO CHIEFS VISIT THE "DEUTSCHLAND"

Hope you enjoy it!

Reagrds
    Claas

Claas: Those are great additions to this thread, and I truly hope there will be others out there who will post additional material, comments, and questions. At the moment, I would say that we have made available about the best visual information regarding the Deutschland that can be found anywhere. Dwight

Oh, I've forgotten one film.

5.MR BOTTOMLEY AT YARMOUTH

I have a postcard in my collection showing exactly a moment of the film

Regards
    Claas

Claas, another great addition to the thread. And now, I would like to add this.

When the U-Deutschland returned to Bremen, the Kaiser handed out medals to just about everyone who had been involved in the first trip. Here are the medals associated with the U-Deutschland's first trip.
    This is the Knight's Cross of the Hohenzollern House Order (Ritterkreuz des Hausordens von Hohenzollern) I don't have one of these yet, and probably never will, but I'm looking. Paul König, the U-Deutschland's captain received this award.

Royal Order of the Crown 2nd Class (Preussen Königliche Kronenorden, 2. Klasse) This is another one I am looking for. This award went to Alfred Lohmann who was the cargo-U-boat project front man in Germany, and the man behind the money.

Royal Order of the Crown 4th Class (Preussen Königliche Kronenorden, 4. Klasse)
    This went to Franz Kraphol, the U-Deutschland's 1st watch officer, Paul Eyring, the boat's 2nd watch officer, H. Klees, who was the boat's chief engineer, and actually the 2nd in command, and two un-named Krupp employees.

Prussian Order of the Red Eagle, 4th Class (Preussen Rote Adlerorden, 4. Klasse) This is also from my collection. This award went to the brothers, Paul and Henry Hilken, who owned the A. Schumacher Company in Baltimore and were the American agents for Norddeutsche LLoyd. The other recipient was Capt. Friedrich Hinsch, who commanded the interned liner, SS Neckar. All three were active Etappendienst agents.

Prussian General Honor Decoration in Silver (Preussen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen in Silber) This is also from my collection. This award went to the boat's chief petty officers and the purser

Prussian General Honor Decoration in Silver (Preussen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen in Silber) This award went to the remaining members of the crew

There is an aspect to this boat that hasn't come up, but it will now. At the time, the Germans insisted that the whole cargo-U--boat project was a civilian undertaking, and that Paul König was an unemployed merchant captain looking for work. In fact, at the time he was selected to command the U-Deutschland, König was a Kapitänleutnant aboard the SMS Brandenburg. Outwardly the venture was funded by private capital, but the construction materials, the yard that built it, the men who manned it, and the people who controlled the boat's destiny were all part of the Kaiserlichemarine. In-so-far that the operations were conducted under the auspices of Norddeutsche Lloyd, and the front known as the Deutsche Ocean Reederei, it was at least a joint private business and government undertaking. But the real planners and organizers were the members of the navy's Etappendienst. Dwight

Nice items, Dwight.
    I found in my picture collection the following pics. It's a medal from the Bremer Senat given to the crew.
    Showing front and back

Reagrds
    Claas

Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast