Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Hello,

searching in my collection of U-Deutschland pictures I found this pic. No idea of where I have... No matter anyway...

And now a medal from my collection, bought on ebay last year:

back

Any idea who made this medal?

Regards
    Claas
    Last edited by UBremen; 01-31-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Claas: It's definitely made in Baltimore and is probably from the iron ballast. That's one we didn't know about. The Deutsche Bund was very active in having those souvenirs made and sold on the street to raise money. Congratulations on an excellent find. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Claas: It's definitely made in Baltimore and is probably from the iron ballast. That's one we didn't know about. The Deutsche Bund was very active in having those souvenirs made and sold on the street to raise money. Congratulations on an excellent find. Dwight
    Dwight: The medal is made of copper. There are very, very small letters on the loop.

"L.A. RU? STAMP CO."

? means not readable

I think it's the company who made the medal. Did anyone know more?

Regards
    Claas

Claas: That's intersting. The fact that the printing is in English leads me to believe that it was made in either the US or the UK, but the fact that it's copper excludes it from any of the ballast souvenirs. It's certainly a watch fob. And I don't think it was made in the UK during WWI. However, maybe someone in the UK produced it to sell wherever the U-Deutschland was making a public appearance in 1919-20. The closest thing I could find to the letters you provided is a British company founded by Thomas de la Rue in 1830, and is still in business. But I don't really think that's the source. Let's hope someone out there has the right answer. Dwight

Hello,

here is a letter, I don't no a better word for it, signed by Paul König. It's from my collection:

Regards
    Claas

Claas: That's an interesting clearance affidavit. How did you manage to obtain it? Somewhere in my files I have the naval inspector's report confirming that the boat was unarmed and civilian. The inspection was made in Baltimore a day after she arrived. I'll make an effort today to find it and post it. Dwight

Ahoy U-Bremen:

I have yet to discover who made the commemorative medal shown in yours above, but can add my two-cents that my belief is that it was most likely made by someone in the US but not necessarily in the Baltimore German American community. I say the USA since in lieu of an umlauted capital oh they added an Eee to spell Koenig. I will check on "L.A. RU? STAMP CO." and see what I come up with. GREAT to be aboard this forum with such like-minded folks!

Hallo,
    it's me again. Here are some pics from my collection.

First I want you to show a chain-trailer (is this the correct word?), which so exists in similar form.
    front:

back:

And this is the similar form (I don't have it in my collection:

So far we have only talked about memorabilia, which were then made​​.
    But there are, at least here in Germany, a few new pieces.

A "silver stamp," which is the insurance vignette:

a silver medal:

And a beer mug:

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Regards

Claas

Hey Claas,
    Neat stuff. I really like the beer stein. When was it made?

Luke

Hello Luke,

the beer stein was made in 2000. It comes from a series which called "Meilensteine der Postbeförderung", means milestones of post transportation.
    The round silvermedal is also from a series with the same name. The stamp and the silvermedal are made 999/1000 silver.

Reagrds
    Claas

Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast