Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Hi Steve,

the "stamps" were insurance stamps. They were never stuck on a letter, but they were glued to a insurancecard .

The stamps were printed in a block of four. There are two editions of them:

First edition with the inscription Wertbriefbeförderung / Deutschland - Amerika

5 Mk. grün (1000pcs)
    10 Mk. karminrosa (500pcs)
    15 Mk. grau (500pcs)
    20 Mk. ultramarin (500pcs)
    25 Mk. braun (500pcs)
    50 Mk. lilarosa (500pcs)

Second edition with no inscription Wertbriefbeförderung / Deutschland - Amerika

5 Mk. grün (500pcs)
    10 Mk. karminrosa (500pcs)
    15 Mk. grau (500pcs)
    20 Mk. ultramarin (500pcs)
    25 Mk. braun (500pcs)
    50 Mk. lilarosa (500pcs)
    75 Mk. schwarz auf silber (300pcs)
    100 Mk. violett auf gold (200pcs)

And here you can see one of the insurancecard ( there are also 2 editions)

The postage is labeled correctly. Stamp in the middle the postage stamp look for me like a fake. But the subject would lead us too far.

Try to find the book from Bernard A. Henning "German Submarine Mail of World War 1"

published by the German Philatelic Society, 1991

Or you order the book "CLAUS GEISSLER „DECKNAME `U 200` -DIE TAUCHBOOTPOST-STORY 1916/1917”
    "(in german only ) by Potsdamer Philatelistisches Büro - Highlights

If you have further question please feel free to ask.

Kind regards

Claas

Steve: The upper left photo you posted is the U-Deutschland during her sea trials. I have the negative of that photo which I will post along with some others when I find someone who still works in B&W. The control room photo is also the Deutschland.

Here is the same photo taken from the 3rd edition of Die Fahrt der Deutschland published by Verlag Ullstein & Co., Berlin, 1917

The lower left photo is probably the U-Bremen on her sea trials. Her color scheme was different than the one used on the U-Deutschland. Otherwise, the boats were virtually identical. Dwight

Earlier in this thread we had a discussion about torpedo tubes being added to the U-Deutschland after she became the U-155. Claas provided a photo of the boat showing a bow tube just at the waterline. Now I can add this photo which shows the boat in drydock after the war and while being prepared for the John Bull public displays. This photo, in which the drydock and all surrounding background has been removed, clearly shows the starboard topedo tube opening. I found this postcard photo while sorting through my old research files, and typically, it was in the wrong folder. So here it is. Dwight

Dwight,

Your image, coupled with the one Claas provided:

... clearly shows the starboard bow torpedo tube opening when U-DEUTSCHLAND was being exhibited around England. There's also a slight indentation at her waterline, and amidships, that is probably a side torpedo tubeway. I wonder why the bull nose was removed at the point of the bow?

STBaltimore
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 03-04-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more detail

STBaltimore: If you are talking about the opening in the bulge near the stem; yes, that is the torpedo tube tubeway. Putting the two pictures together was a good idea. Thanks for doing that. Dwight

Claas,
    Before I go any farther I need to say how great it is to find some people that have the same interest in U-Deutschland & Bremen that I do. When I talk to my friends about it all I get is blank stares.

Anyway, off we go! Claas the photos of the stamps were great! The theory I had worked out with the stamp collectors was all wrong apparently. The stamps, it seems, must also be more common. I would read your book, but I only speak and read two languages, English and bad English. I will try for the other book.
    What exactly were these insurance stamps, which were stuck to insurance cards, used to insure? And then, what was the tie to the U-Deutschland/Bremen? {If there even was a tie in} Bugger, I wish I could read your book. Dwight, I think you need to translate his book. STBaltimore said he would pay for your trouble, I swear.

There are so many books I would have love to read on U-boats, but had to pass on because they were written in German.

I will post more photos later. I have two post cards of the Bremen that I know you will want to see. Both of which were made from the photographs you can get from the German archive I wrote about earlier. I will see about getting them out Tuesday.

Until then, best wishes.
    Steve

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    I wish I could read your book [Claas]. Dwight, I think you need to translate his book. STBaltimore said he would pay for your trouble, I swear.

Until then, best wishes.
    Steve
    The only thing I have in my deep pockets is ballast, If you don't mind me saying so, this reminds me of the admiral who is asking the men for someone to volunteer for a dangerous mission... upon hearing it, the entire rank takes one step back except the sailor who stands fast, deep in thought, contemplating what is being asked. Hey! I've got an idea! We can use the ballast in my pockets to make commemorative items for the 2016 Centennial of the 1st Atlantic crossing. That might raise enough money for the book translation if Steve can keep his bulkhead flappers recirculating for that long. >wink<

STBaltimore

I have to be honest and say that the thought of translating a book about stamp collecting sounds about as exciting as watching grass grow. Anyway, on a more realistic theme, thirty years ago I acquired 28 negatives of the U-Deutschland under construction, on her sea trials, and returning to Bremen from Baltimore. I had them printed and I will post them in groups. This first group is the boat under construction and launched.
    This shows the pressure hull frames at about the engine room

This photo is taken from the starboard quarter looking forward and it shows the casing deck framework, the completed pressure hull, and the tank deck

In this photo the boat is undergoing the final preparations for her launching.

A good shot of her fixed bow planes

In this photo the launch crew is aboard and her rudder is locked. This photo was probably made just a few hours before she went into the water.

Attachment 316244
    Here she is just a short time after she went into the water.

Well, finally got it. Here she is just after being launched. I'll do the next group, her sea trials, in a short while. Dwight

Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast