Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 21 of 121 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

STBaltimore: They appear to be from Eberhard Rössler, Geschichte des deutschen Ubootbaus, J.F. Lehamns Verlag, München, 1975. I used the same drawings when I built the model. If you want a set, I can send them to you, but it will be three or four weeks before i can get them copied. Dwight

Dwight,
    Right in one! Good job. I scanned the pictures into AutoCad fixed the faded lines the best I could, copied the parts into a photoshop page (after many hours, failed attemps, buggered files, and plenty of bad words) added and deleted text. The final file is 14 meg. I can not email it or even reduce it to send over the web its so big. It did come out well though. You are looking at a photo of the photo.

Thank you for the input on distance, close is good enough.

I will catch up with you later. I just fixed my internet.

Steve

A while back Claas posted photos showing the U-155 (Ex U-Deutschland) having retro-fitted bow torpedo tubes. I found this drawing, which illustrates the insallation. It's from Eberhard Rössler, Die Unterseeboote der Kaiserlichen Marine, 1997. The two smaller deck guns shown in the plan view are 88mm, which it seems were added in 1918 when the bow torpedo tubes were added. Bodo Herzog in Deutsche U-Boote, 1906-1966 and Erich Gröner in Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe, 1815-1945 are rather vague on U-155's armament. Never-the-less, I think Rössler is the more reliable source in this case. Dwight

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Dwight,

I have four possible scenarios for what happened for the U-Bremen. Over the last week I got three typed up. When I present these to the forum I would like to have my facts straight, along that line, I have a few quick questions that if you could answer for me would save me the time of looking up. Thank you.

1. What was the exact date the U-Bremen sailed from Helgoland? I have come across several different dates over the years.

2. What was the max speed on the surface?

3. Where was its destination port in the USA? I have also seen different answers to this question.

When I post the scenarios, hopefully next week, I will post them as individual posts one after the other. I plan on including a scanned copy of a chart so people can see all the possibilities and work with us..

Remember, the book I am planning on writing is all based on NOT finding the U-Bremen. If we were to find it, I have no plot device. I never thought I would meet a group of people with the same interests, which is why it is taking me so long to get this all together. I have notes in dozens of books that I need to go over and figure out what is relevant. I am going to keep each scenario as brief as possible.

Steve

On a side note, I read everything I post 3 times to check for mistakes, but I still find them in my final posts. I am sorry, I do not mean to come off sounding like a goober.

Steve

Steve: The U-Bremen departed Helgoland at 1500 on 26 August 1916 probably en route to Newport, Rhode Island. The Germans never publicly said where she was headed and there were all sorts of rumors that included Baltimore, Boston, New London, and even New York. The confusion and uncertainty was deliberate to keep the British guessing. New Port is probably the correct destination since that is where Kapitänleutnant Hans Rose took the U-53 in September 1916. His mission was to attack and sink any British warships operating off that part of the US coast an clear the way for the U-Bremen.

I'm not sure what the maximum surface speed was for the U-Bremen because she had different engines than the U-Deutschland. But the Deutschland's maximum surface speed was 9.5 knot. According to Herzog and Gröner the U-151 class cruisers, of which U-155 (ex-Deutschland was one) had a maximum surface speed of 12.4 knots.

I'm am looking forward to reading what you have to say about the Bremen. How soon do you think you will have it up? I'm just about out of here until 4 April. Dwight

Dwight,
    Thank you for the help. I am sorry, but I will not get the Bremen stuff up until at least the middle of the week. It is not that there is that much or its that complicated, I just have no time over the next couple of days to work on it. Other things in life need my time. I want to get all my ducks in a row so I can lay it all out. It will be here when you get back so you can dive right in. I have far more questions than answers.

I wish you the best.

Steve

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    Dwight,
    ... I will not get the Bremen stuff up until at least the middle of the week.... It will be here when you get back so you can dive right in. ... far more questions than answers.
    Did you say DIVE? Does this mean that I should go ahead with plans to see where we can find a large enough vessel, rent some good sonar gear and look into obtaining a not-too-expensive salvage submersible that doesn't leak too much?

Now where did I lay that North Sea chart and those dividers?

STBaltimore: I think all we will need a a strong magnet and a long string to find the wreck. That part should be pretty easy. Once we get it located we can probably get the Glomar Explorer for a song because it's sitting up in the Carquinez Straits waiting to be scrapped. We just tow it out to where we found the wreck, sink it, and glam onto the sub, and bring it up. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days and a dozen 6-packs. See? Steve's optimism has already rubbed off onto me. Dwight

?

They are scrapping the Glomar!?

Now, thats a piece of history right there ...

Howard, he knew ships....and planes ...and

Page 21 of 121 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast