Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 121 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

LOL>

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I can see the business card now; Adrian Stevenson - Historic Consultant. There could be good money in that, Ade!

Ade,

With all joking aside, Dwight, STBaltimore, and I are stuck on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Most of the answers we need will have to come from the British National Archives and their Room 40 radio intercepts, and thought the log books of the British ships I listed. I know that there are many readers of this thread in England; if there is anyone that would be willing to help out we will guide you through what you need to look for. It is like a scavenger hunt, but on a big scale. I would do it myself, but I have this physical problem that prevents me from having any fun. It is called a wife. So, anyway if anyone can help let us know.

I think most of the German stuff we need Dwight already has at home. Most of the stuff he does not have was probably blown up in WW II. I am also at a disadvantage because I only speak two languages, English and bad English.

Steve

Hi Steve, my BIG problem is lack of time to do this. There is lots of stuff I need to do down at the Archives.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Steve,

I hate to sound mercenary but I've got the time if you have the money. I'd take a tramp steamer over, brown bag my lunch to to keep costs to a minimum and brush up on my English just to expedite matters.

Time seems to be of the essence for most folks, excepting a few such as your writer. Who knows? Maybe Adrian will allow me the use of his never-rained-on South Derbyshire sun deck for, as Captain Koenig would have referred his U-DEUTSCHLAND'S conning tower as being, a turret.

Might most of this sound a bit like shameless self-promotion? If so, please read around those portions. >wink<

STB

STBalitimore,

Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind.

Ade,

I understand your problem, sorry for trying to impose. Do you know and college students that might have a bit of free time, a retired gentleman of leisure that would look at this as a challenge, a bore house wife, a megalomaniac that’s between world domination plots? There has got to be someone in England up for a bit of fun!!

Steve

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    STBalitimore,

Thanks for the offer. I will keep it in mind.
    Like the commercial says --- Better hurry... offer ends Monday!

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    Possibility #4: They just stole the U-Bremen.

Gentlemen,

There is always a chance, all be it a small I grant you, that the captain and crew decided to steal the U-Bremen and sell the cargo on the black market. I just cannot believe a whole boat load of men would agree to give up their families and friends to live in a foreign land. The logistics would be too overwhelming to put together in a short period of time as they had available.

However, it is in the realm of possibility and I did need to mention it.

Steve
    Hey Steve. Is possibility #4 an idea of yours or one that's been out there for a while? Very interesting but I'd agree with you. I wouldn't think those men would want to give up their families and country. Though it's fun to imagine. I like a good conspiracy theory.

Luke

Luke,

Thank you for the input; I thought we lost you there for a while. A few years ago some friends of mine and I were out drinking in a local establishment and we started talking about what would be involved in stealing a submarine during World War I such as the U-Bremen. The only conclusion that we came to that made any kind of sense, and fit the circumstances would've been: if the U-boat’s crew were all killed, the cargo plundered, the U-boat taken out to sea and sunk, and its cargo slowly sold off on the black market. Sure, other scenarios are possible, but there isn't a shred of evidence to back up even the wildest flights of fancy. However, this is the very scenario on which I was going to try to base a book.

By the way, I don't suppose you have any family or friends living in England that may be willing to give us a hand in trying to track down some information?

Steve

Gentlemen,

I mentioned a few days ago that I picked up a new book titled Diesels for the First Stealth Weapon: Submarine Power 1902 -1945 by Lyle Cummins. If you are an avid U-boat/submarine fan this book is a must for your collection. I purchased mine over the phone from Lyle himself for $35 and he even autographed it to me. The book is massive, it's a real tome, and it is full of pictures and blueprints of Allied and axis submarines. It is a niche book and I am not sure how much longer it's going to be in print. The author talked to me for about a half an hour on the phone discussing various points about U-boats. He gave me permission to post the material related to the U-Deutscheland. As you can see the engine is a work of art.

Steve

]Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Page 24 of 121 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast