Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 30 of 121 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 80 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

?

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Hi Dwight

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Info about "Pathian" was an answer to your question in #286

Do you have any information about what is happening in the Oldenburg photo?
    Regards
    Jensen

?

Hi

Here are some more photos of U-Deutschland

Regards
    Jensen

Jensen: Those are really fine photos. Where di you get them? They are certainly not the usual postcard variety. Thanks for posting them, and in doing so you have contributed to what is becoming the most extensive collection of U-Deutschland related photos and memorabilia ever shown in public. STBaltimore, are they taken in Baltimore or New London? Dwight

In this photo that Jensen posted today there appears to be "U-something" painted on the starboard side of the conning tower. Look carefully and you can see the "U." It doesn't appear on any of the other photos we have posted, and I have never seen it before. But there it is. Since the CT isn't black in this photo, I asume the photo was made in Baltimore. But here's another thing. In this photo she's laid port-side-to as she appears in all the New London photos. But in Baltimore, she was laid starboard-side-to. I guess that's the US courtesy flag flying from the stern, but that's an odd place to fly it.
    Here she is in Baltimore laid starboard-side-to. This picture is from my book, The Merchant U-Boat

In this photo that Claas provided, she is in New London and is laid port-side-to

So, when and where was the ist photo taken? Dwight

Here's my take on the four quite stunning images Jensen has provided as compared to the ones Dwight and others have placed upon this thread:

1. The top image showing the U-DEUTSCHLAND underway could have been taken on either side of the Atlantic. The Chesapeake is open enough to allow for a flat horizon'd background. The Sun is coming from the right side of the image. That ought to be factored in.

2. The next image shows the sub on the correct side as she would have been lying at the McLean pier at Baltimore but her masts are down and the land on the horizon is too close. It isn't a Baltimore image. At New London, she came in bow on port-side-to. The is probably a Bremen shot.

3. The third image could go either way (U.S or Deut.) as I am not familiar with the coal pier-like structure in the background but it would have to have been at New London (if in the U.S. at all) because she wouldn't have been anywhere near a structure like that in Baltimore.

4. This is a great image of a war prize albeit not the U-DEUTSCHLAND, and it may very probably be moored alongside at the Norfolk Naval Base in Hampton Roads. Notice the wooden Chesapeake & Ohio railroad box car atop the pier to the left. In the distance it appears like they are filling in Craney Island with dredge sludge.

Both of Dwight's images, the top one in Baltimore at the foot of Andre street and the other in New London both show the U-DEUTSCHLAND with her bow pointing in toward the seawall and a barrier place in behind her stern in both shots. The Balto. images sees you looking over the barrier to the sub while the the N.L. shot has you looking out beyond the sub to the barrier between it and the Thames River.

You can see the burlap bags that were pinned to the fence (right side of Baltimore pier image to keep telescopic eyes at bay. Once inquisitive reporters were barred from the pile driver (sitting just out of view to the left of the McLean pier, and cloth (canvas/burlap?) coverings were rigged along the newly constructed deck framework on the barge GEORGE MAY, cargo could be handled with impunity.

TMI? STB

STBaltimore: Thanks for the well reasoned answer. I'm sure you are right on every point especially about the fourth photo being a war trophy. Looking at it in that light, I think it's U-111 that was used in the 1919 Victory Bond Drive. She had "U-111" painted on both sides of the CT. Here is a photo of her in the US during the Bond Drive.

The stern is similar to the boat that Jensen posted and the eight slots cut in the deck are identical. She also has the same flat deck.

The U 111 on the CT
    The U-111 is occasionally confused with the U-Deutschland because of her extreme beam. In fact, in 1986 NARA sent me the first photo above in a batch of U-Deutschland pictures. Dwight
    Dwight

Here my opinion about the pictures of Jensen:

This picture was taken on 8th of october 1916 from SMS Prinzregent Luitpold. I have this picture, too. On the back is handwritten "Vorbeifahrt von U-Deutschland am 8.10.16, aufgenommen von S.M.S. Prinzregent Luitpold"

This photo was taken probably in the harbor of Helgoland, as U-Deutschland came back from her first trip. Verny nice picture!

Here, I think, this picture was taken in the harbor of Helgoland, too.
    But in my humble opinion, it shows U-Bremen.

Why? Look at the aft stern. No black color as in U-Deutschland. Only traces of black smoke.
    Remember the two pictures I posted in answer #171

The Deutschland (Notice the background, which looks pretty much like the image of Jensen, but black paint on the stern)

This is U-Bremen, I think. only the traces of smoke on the hull!

What do you think?

Regards

Claas

Dwight:

I found text related to your top U-111 image showing bow-in with belching smokestack beyond seawall bulkhead.

Pickle Submarine in U. S. To Aid Victory Loan.
    The U-111, German submarine, photographed at the Brooklyn navy yard where it is being provisioned and inspected prior to its scheduled visits to ports of the New England States. The submersible craft, said to be one of the finest of undersea fighters, is to be used in behalf of the Victory Liberty loan drive. The vessel was brought across the Atlantic by an American crew.

Image and text provided by Library of Congress, Washington, DC.

Photo & text by The Washington Times. (Washington [D.C.] 1902-1939, 25 April 1919, FINAL EDITION, Image 12, via chroniclingamerica.loc.gov

The second photo (with the battleship showing to the left) is said to have been taken at the Philadelphia Naval Station.

Claas, a.k.a. Mr. Bremen,

You are very perceptive to pick out such nuances. Even the back panel inscription is great to know.

Dwight,

Love that Baltimore image. Thanks too for your affirming comments on Jensen's recent series of four.

If I'm not careful I could easily get sucked into an entire Great War submarine study group. It's nearly dawn on America's east coast. I think I'll take my leave of the cyber glass watch, go below and get some shut eye e.g. 'schlafen'.

Luke, please take the watch.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-09-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Name Switch to Protect the Innocent

?

Hi

Thanks for the help with the photos. Here are two postcards which is described as "Bremen"

I collect fieldpost from german uboats 1914-1918 and he fieldpostcard below, will be the closest I come to "Bremen" I think. It's send from a naval man in Warnemünde to family Carstensen in Apenrade. Written 28.9.1916. Text:

The best congratulations to you in occasion of Theodors happy arrivel with U-Bremen in America.

Theodor Carstensen was a crewmember on U-Bremen (U-Maschinisten Anwärter)

Regards
    Jensen
    Last edited by Jensen; 04-09-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Typo

I feel honored to be among such a group of scholars.

The Washington Times. (Washington [D.C.]), July 10, 1916, HOME EDITION, Image 1 [/COLOR]

has two images I have not seen before or viewed on this thread. One is of Kapitän König and the other is of the U-DEUTSCHLAND’S turret. Both images are side-by-side.

Another of interest is the Baltimore pier image w/U-DEUTSCHLAND alongside. This facility was situated at the foot of (south end) of Andre street, owned, before and after D.O.R., by McLean Contracting. The full image in the Washington Times shows the extant Catholic church roof & steeple. It is possible that Dwight’s offering had been cropped for editorial purposes.

The Washington Times., July 21, 1916, HOME EDITION, Page 2, Image 2[/COLOR]"
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-09-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Trying to get the blasted URL's to coincide with the color blue. Didn't work this time.

Page 30 of 121 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 80 ... LastLast