Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Thanks loads Dwight. I know how frustrating it can be trying to identify images some publisher or editor thought might offer balance (fill up the blank spaces) to a layout sheet... but they do it more than not. Along those lines I'm with you on the sailor image.

Speaking of images, has anyone had success in tracking down the Gotthold Prusse image said to be displayed in that obscure Seattle Washington boating magazine that is cited all over creation but no one seems to have a copy of?

Forgive me Steve... I couldn't resist.

STBaltimore

Here's the link to the U- Deutschland lot for sale. Really cool but I believe it's a bit pricey. It's the 6th item down. German WWII SS Honor Badge | Officer Sword | Rare WWI Militaria

Luke
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Thanks for the link Luke. Just think.. if we manage to come up with some mementos for the 100th of the U-DEUTSCHLAND'S crossing they too might be almost worth that much. Well.... that is if you are able to hang on to them for a hundred years or so. >wink<

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Thanks for the link Luke. Just think.. if we manage to come up with some mementos for the 100th of the U-DEUTSCHLAND'S crossing they too might be almost worth that much. Well.... that is if you are able to hang on to them for a hundred years or so. >wink<
    ..... Great investment if we can just stay alive long enough!

Luke

I apologize if this has already been shown on here.

Luke

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

I just looked at the site Hank posted. Here's a contest for you, how many errors are there in the blurb accompanying the items for sale? I don't know if total ignorance about the facts has anything to do with the price asked, but in this case I would say the relationship is proportional, i. e. ratio of degree of ignorance to outrageousness of the price is 1:1. Below is the blurb in question.

U-Boat Deutschland souvenir ensemble. This extremely rare was offered for purchase as a souvenir of the tuour made by the German U-Boat “Deutschland in 1910. It became a high media attention event as the U-Boat was a curiosity at the time. Captained by Paul Koenig the U-Boat made stops at a number of American ports including Baltimore and Philidelphia. Built as a merchant vessel for transporting cargo with a capacity of 700 tons. The Deutschland was designed for transporting cargo between Germany and the United States . The German Kriegsmarine took command of the Deutschland on February 19, 1917 and the Deutschland was designated U-155 after being re-fitted with deck guns and six torpedo tubes. U-155 finished the war credited with three war missions and sinking 42 ships. U-155 surrendered on November 24, 1918 and sold for scrap in 1921. By any wartime standards the U-155 ( Deutscheland) had an outstanding record of success. This set includes a souvenir beer tray featuring the submarine beneath a portrait of Capitan König. The serving tray reads, “ Beer Drivers Union – Local 132-Philadelphia and Vicinity.” Accompanying the offer is an Iron cross medallion with a portrait of König on one side and the Deutschland on the other. The clothbound book, “VOYAGE OF THE DEUTSCHLAND” published in 1916 by Hearst’s International library, Inc. is in excellent condition having minor separations of pages with the binding. Very rare. $500.

Hank: That's a very nice piece; where did you get it? Actually, the ballast used to cast the souvenirs sold in the US was brought to New London on the 2nd trip. Obviously, by identifying the piece as having been made from ballast carried on the first trip, the sellers were "sweetening the pot." Twenty tons of the ballast was given to the American relief Committee for Orphans and Widows of the War. Dwight

Dwight: I'm certain the Kriegsmarine didn't have anything to do with the U-Deutschland. I'll let the guys pick out the other errors.
    I wish that piece was mine. I just ran across that photo and thought I'd post it since I didn't think it was here anywhere.

Luke

And the hits keep on coming.

I have two questions gents:

1st. Although the fine souvenir is said to be made from the ballast of U-DEUTSCHLAND'S first visit to the United States, did you notice that it sort of takes on the appearance of copper or brass (unless that's gold paint we're seeing) - commodities much sought after by the waring nations - but isn't especially the best ballast, and,

2ndly. Whatever became of all of the ballast unloaded upon U-DEUTSCHLAND'S first voyage to America.

Surely, one wonders if the dye stuffs on the first visit would have accounted for all of the necessary dead weight the submersible would have most likely required for stability in the very bottom of her hull.

Just wondering, mind you.
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 09-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.

I think we may have identified the design creator of one of the oval medallions cast from the ballast dropped off at Baltimore in 1916.

Both Claas and Dwight have provided images of this fund-raising memento. Dwight's is shown and mentioned on page one of this thread while the one shown is from Claas and will be found on page five (if you are using the forum's default thread structure) and also below in this posting.

Here's the account - slightly modified:

Commercial Submarine "Deutschland" Relic Medals, 1916. Iron oval with integral loop, 43.3 x 24.4mm. By Hans Schuler. Obverse -- Views of the first and last [successful] commercial U-Boat, sailing under the flag of Bremen under Captain Paul König on its arrival at Baltimore through the British blockade. Reverse -- Border of thorns, inscription notes sale for the benefit of German POWs in Siberia. Struck by Interboro Manufacturing from the iron ballast, designed by the Baltimore sculptor/artist who would later create the Maryland Tercentennial half dollar in 1934.

Here's a link to the Schuler School of Sculpture in Baltimore and a brief glimpse of the man behind the medallion.

The Legacy | Schuler School of Fine Arts | Baltimore, Maryland
    Attached Images Attached Images Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model 

STBaltimore: That's a great piece of trivia for which I thank you. One of these days--probably never, given my advanced age--I would like to track down exactly who commissioned all those souvenirs and what exactly all those souvenirs were. The fact is, that most of the money raised, if not all, was used to forward espionage in the United States. A situation that was completely separate from the mission of the U-Deutschland. All those benevolent societies and groups were fronts. Thanks again for a really useful piece of information. Dwight

Page 46 of 121 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 ... LastLast