Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 53 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Dwight,

Your information on the engine used in the U-Deutschland post #512 complements what I found in post #240. Dwight was it your book that had a picture from the scrap yard dock of the massive cylinders from the U-Deutschland's diesel engine? If so, this would be a good time to post it.

Steve

Steve: No, I don't have the photo, but wish I did. But keep in mind that the U-Deutschland diesels were not propulsion engines, they were diesel generators that had been adapted for use in the U-Deutschland. For example, they were non-reversible and in order to manuver on the surface, the electric motors had to be engaged. I don't know the scope of the engine book you have, but the type of diesel the U-Deutschland had might not be in there. They were Germania 4-stroke, 6 cylinder engines. I don't have any information on the bore and stroke, but I'll see what I can find. Dwight

Dwight, Steve:
    I found this picture in my collection. It is taken from "Der Bau von Unterseebooten auf der Germaniawerft" written by Hans Techel. These engine were designed as a generator engine for the Linienschiff "Sachsen" It has 450PS. The machine was not reversible, so on surface the boat could only go backwards with the electrical machine.

Regards
    Claas

Claas: That's a great photo. I have long wondered what those engines actualy looked like, and now I know. I would never have thought that they had open valves and cams. Were there any specifications with the photo; such as bore and stroke? In fact, if there is any associated text, could you scan it and send it to me by email? Dwight

Dwight,

It would seem that the three of us are all on the same page as far as the information we have on the engine is concerned. Dwight if you're looking for more information on the engines please check out post #240 on page 24. It has quite a bit of information on the engine.

I have a book somewhere downstairs that contains photographs of the scrapping of the U-Deutschland, and one picture in particular shows the cylinder heads on a dock. They were massive things, and I thought I saw them in Dwight’s book. Apparently I was wrong. So I going to start spending time flipping through some of my old books. As soon as I find the pictures I'll post them, along with the appropriate references.

Steve

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    I'm not certain about the rest of you but a few of the images in this German language magazine centerfold offering appear to be new ones to me

GERMAN U-BOAT DEUTSCHLAND WWI SUBMARINE 1916 PAUL KO (02/24/2011)...

Please let me know if the links will open for you and enjoy if they do.

STBaltimore
    Please find here the original: Zeitungsartikel

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    .. As for the center photo spread that Walt posted the three photos on the left are postcards, which collectively, we have. The two photos to the right are Paul König and next to it is a photo of Paul König, Graf von Zeppelin, and Alfred Lohmann. I’m pretty sure that photo was taken on the steps of the Bremen Ratshaus. The photo directly below those two is a postcard which I’m pretty sure that Claas has, showing the crew. The upper right photo and the three below it might not be a part of the U-Deutschland spread. The upper photo is of three NDL captains, one of which might be Paul König but I can’t be sure. I have seen that photo among the Bundesarchiv collection, but for the life of me, I can’t find it again. The bottom two photos are unrecognized, and I doubt they have anything to do with the U-Deutschland, especially the uniformed sailor, since he doesn’t look like any of the crewmen and is obviously a serving enlisted man. I’ll keep looking for those photos. Dwight
    Dwight: The is not the Bremen Rathaus. It is the "Essighaus" (Essighaus, soory only in German, but nice pic from this nice house from today)
    The sailor is Paul König as a Maat. And the other are also connecte with the Deutschla or Paul König.

Regards
    Claas
    Last edited by UBremen; 01-01-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Claas,

I am trying to construct a new set of blueprints for the U-Deutschland using AutoCAD. I need all the help I can get. Is there any chance you could e-mail me a copy of the photograph you posted on page 25, post number 242? It is the one showing the insides of the Deutschland. I would appreciate any and all help.

Thank you,
    Steve

Quote by Steve Zuke View Post
    Claas,

I am trying to construct a new set of blueprints for the U-Deutschland using AutoCAD. I need all the help I can get. Is there any chance you could e-mail me a copy of the photograph you posted on page 25, post number 242? It is the one showing the insides of the Deutschland. I would appreciate any and all help.

Thank you,
    Steve
    Steve: You have an email. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Claas

Hello Guys,

Steve showed us so wonderfull pictures from his collecter room. So I thought it would be nice to show my little showcase to you.

Regards
    Claas

Claas: That is a terrific collection! I wish I could get my hands on those books because I am sure there is a lot of material in them that I haven't seen. Very impressive. Dwight

Page 53 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast