Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 67 of 121 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Default Re: Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Aha! Claas, 1 April you say, you sly dog. Good RF and I owe you one, but watch out because I am a really bad person when it comes to being had. Good job and a good laugh. Dwight

Quote by UBremen View Post
    ...“Missed submarine found” ...Sorry for my lousy translation, but I'm so excited and it is shortly after midnight of the first April. Best regards
    Claas
    Gents, I think Claas has decided to 'jump-the-gun' just a bit with his April 1st U-BREMEN 'discovery' story. As you may have noted, he has decided to share it with us a day early, e.g. March 31st. No foolin'! That's what he did. And it was a Gooder too. >grin<

And now for a really true April 1st. story (also written during the month of March) to sort of match up with the recent suspect U-DEUTSCHLAND Paper Weight entries.

AID FOR TEUTONIC ALLIES.
    Prisoners’ War Relief

The Prisoners of War Relief Committee for the Relief of German and Austro-Hungarian Prisoners of War, headquarters 24 North Moore Street, New York City, announces that with the returns from list 72 the amount received to date is $530,250. Contributions on the last list, of $100 and over, are as follows:

Mrs. G.L. Stier ……. $100
    Mrs. O.C. Heinze…... “
    F. Muller ……………..... “
    N.N. …………………....... “
    T. Smidt ……………...... “
    J.C.G. Hupfel ……….... “
    C. Leibmann …………... “
    W.Rasmus ............... "
    F.A. Meyer ............... "
    H. Kohnstamm ......... "
    E.Faber ................... "
    Pittsburgh, col. ..…. 1,641
    Valparaiso, col. …….1,190
    A friend ……………...... 500
    St. Lousi, col. ……….. 474
    Richmond, Va., col.… 117
    Detroit col. …………... 394
    T. Prehn ……………..... 250
    A. Pagenstecher ……. 250
    J.H. Schiff ………….... 250
    H.E.N. ………………..... 200
    V. Koache …………..... 200
    H.A. Metz …………..... 200
    Passaic N.J., col. …… 300
    A.H. Mosle …………... 200
    A.R. Klein ………….... 200
    G.D. Berko …………... 184
    C.Seitz ……………….... 150
    W.M.F. ……………....... 100
    Boston col. …………... 125
    Louisville col. ……….. 125
    P. Mausolff ………….... 100
    Mrs. J. Ruppert …….. 100
    H.W.T. Steinway ……. 100
    S. Rosenbaum ………. 100
    O. Dressler …………... 100
    W.H. Gottsche …….... 100
    F. Weber …………….... 100
    Contributions under $100 ….. 3,427

There have also been received 500 pounds of tobacco and 43 packages for which thanks are returned. Checks should be made payable to Wilhelm Knauth, Treasurer, care of P.O.W. Relief Committee, 24 North Moore Street. One hundred thousand German residents of Chile have raised $20,000 since the beginning of the war for the Prisoners War Relief.

German War Orphans.

There has been received last week in the American Collection for German War Orphans, through the bankers Knauth, Nachod & Kuhne, $272, in various amounts. The total receipts now amount to $25,673. Headquarters, 11 Broadway, New York, Room 1117.

Source: New York newspapers mid-March, 1917

StBaltimore: I have to say that you have stumpted us again. What is the connection between the regular financial report issued by the Prisoners of War Relief Committee and April Fool's Day? The group was legitimate and registered with the Department of State. After the United States entered the war, the Prisoners of War Relief Committee continued to operate, but all its relief funds went only to the relief of Germans in the United States, many of them internees. The Committee had several sub-units, one of them called The Committee for the relief of Widows and Orphans of the War In Germany that had to shut down after we entered the war because it became unlawful to send money to any of the Central Powers for any purpose. The Committe, and its regular financial reports, do have relevance to our U-Deutschland thread in that the Committee was the recipient of the Ballast that was left in New London for the purpose of being converted into souvenirs that were sold to raise money for the cause. One of the questions I have is; when were the oval pendant/watch fob souvenirs we have posted on this web site made? The Committee's financial reports that I have seen so far makes no mention of income from that source prior to the New London trip in November 1916. Based on what little information I have, it appears that they were made after the U-Deutschland left at the end of November. The point probably isn't terribly important other than to be accurate. In any event, STBaltimore I'm glad you posted the March 1917 report because it is one I had not seen, and is useful because it was the last report the Committee posted prior to our entry into the war. PS: It was already 1 April in Germany when Claas posted his excellent RF. Dwight

Sorry to all for the April Fool's joke. But it was tickling me in the fingers...

A couple auf days ago somebody ask me for a goood picture of the had badge from the DOR. I lost the email and I don't know who wants it. Please send me an email again. Picture is ready to send.

Best regards
    Claas

Arrow What a Difference A Day Makes - Reports of Ballast

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    StBaltimore: I have to say that you have stumpted us again. What is the connection between the regular financial report issued by the Prisoners of War Relief Committee and April Fool's Day? ... It was already 1 April in Germany when Claas posted his excellent RF. Dwight
    Sorry to have schtumpt'd you with my reply to Post No 658 by Claas.

If you recall, Claas reported in the early morning hours of April 1st that:

"“Missed submarine found”
    "Today during dredging work in the port of Helgoland was discoverd an unarmed submarine form the first world war. A name plate at the bow of that u-boat said that it is the since 1916 missing trade submarine “Bremen”

The discovery, I would dare to say, would have had to have been made at least the day prior to April 1st. Claas would have had to read about it in the evening edition of the Bremer Nachrichten or would have had to wait until the early morning addition hit the streets, which, with what is required to print newspapers, would have meant that the news could not have arrived earlier than the night before to make the early morning addition.

As I had mentioned in my reply to the "untersee discovery posting" the authentic report of the Prisoners of War Relief Committee was also issued in March - the same month as the one reported by Claas (his being in the wee morning hours of April 1st.)

I hope you all have enjoyed reading the POW relief posting as much as Dwight and I have. It was intended to tie in with another revelation - that too of Claas (post'g 656)... the continuing saga of U-DEUTSCHLAND'S ballast. How about Chile's contribution to the fund, eh? One more question for us to ponder.... We may now further wonder how many hunks of re-cast iron ballast are being used as paperweights (or doorstops) down in South America?

'73'

Exclamation Deutschen Ozean-Rhederei (DOR) Emblem

... A couple auf days ago somebody ask me for a goood picture of the had badge from the DOR. I lost the email and I don't know who wants it. Please send me an email again. Picture is ready to send.

Best regards
    Claas
    Claas, Question: Is this an image of the Deutschen Ozean-Rhederei (DOR) patch that Captain Koenig is wearing? If it is a close-up photo of the patch itself, would you mind please sending it to me too?

Reason? We have a company in Baltimore wishing to replicate it in conjunction with our upcoming U-DEUTSCHLAND/U-BREMEN presentations. They'd like to see the stitching pattern of an original embroidered DOR patch and the images we have of photoed on the Koenig hat isn't the best - if an original exists.

Danke,
    Last edited by STBaltimore; 04-04-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Changing Embem to Emblem in Title Bar

Default Re: What a Difference A Day Makes - Reports of Ballast

Quote by STBaltimore View Post
    Sorry to have schtumpt'd you with my reply to Post No 658 by Claas.

If you recall, Claas reported in the early morning hours of April 1st that:

"“Missed submarine found”
    "Today during dredging work in the port of Helgoland was discoverd an unarmed submarine form the first world war. A name plate at the bow of that u-boat said that it is the since 1916 missing trade submarine “Bremen”

The discovery, I would dare to say, would have had to have been made at least the day prior to April 1st. Claas would have had to read about it in the evening edition of the Bremer Nachrichten or would have had to wait until the early morning addition hit the streets, which, with what is required to print newspapers, would have meant that the news could not have arrived earlier than the night before to make the early morning addition.

The newspaper in Bremen was very fast printed in my mind. As I send the message in Germany was the 1st of April. In the USA they hung behind a little. The idea with the April Fool's Day had come to me very suddenly in the sense. I hope noone is angry with me!

Best regards
    Claas

The newspaper in Bremen was very fast printed in my mind... The idea with the April Fool's Day had come to me very suddenly in the sense. I hope noone is angry with me!

Best regards
    Claas
    Claas, I echo Dwight's sentiment in that your posting 658 was a brilliant stroke of titillation. Amazing what the mind can 'come up with' when 'pressed' to do so. And now the news... let's get back to the task at hand... concentrating on finding the U_BREMEN and making your news account a reality by April 1st 2014. Got your ears on Zuke?

STBaltimore, please send me an email with your emailadress!

Claas
    Last edited by UBremen; 04-04-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Page 67 of 121 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast