Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colonial German Tropenhelm

Article about: Hey Everyone, Haven't been collecting much lately, been a little preoccupied. Anyway, I have been offered what appears to be some sort of Colonial German Tropenhelm. I am aware that after 19

Default Colonial German Tropenhelm

Hey Everyone,

Haven't been collecting much lately, been a little preoccupied.
    Anyway, I have been offered what appears to be some sort of Colonial German Tropenhelm.
    I am aware that after 1902 sun helmets were more standardized, and that before that time helmets were purchased from all sorts of foreign manufactures.
    The body of the helmet looks like a British officers pith with the crossed fabric in the front. The insignia looks to me like some kind of Keiserliche Marine landing squad.
    The issue that I have is that I have looked though numerous reference books, and all sorts of forums and I can't seem to find anything that looks similar to it.
    The label on the inside is marked Gebr. Messerschmitd.

If anyone has seen anything like this before, please let me know,

All the best,

Jess

Check out Peter Suciu's excellent website: Military Collection of Peter Suciu
    There is one that looks like yours.

Interesting that it is made by Messerschmidt. It would be useful if could manage to show the whole of the helmet, top, bottom and side views.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by magicdutchmen View Post
    Check out Peter Suciu's excellent website: Military Collection of Peter Suciu
    There is one that looks like yours.
    as great as Peter's site is, he does not often show the underside and many of the images are small, which stops it being an excellent site IMHO.

Maybe as it has been online a while and it could do with updating, still a great reference site and one I use.
    Regards,

Jerry

Here are the only other images i have at the moment.
    I wasn't aware or a helmet manufacturer by the name of Messerschmitt. It couldn't have been the famous messerschmitt of WWII as it didn't exist at the time.
    No from what I've read so far no one seems to have an issue with it.
    Any thoughts?

Colonial German TropenhelmColonial German Tropenhelm

Also thank you for the link Jerry, it does look quite similar

Jesse

Quote by jesshaedrich View Post
    Also thank you for the link Jerry, it does look quite similar

Jesse
    Actually it was magic dutchman that first posted the link. The helmet looks fine and original, probably 1920's or 30's from the style of it.
    Regards,

Jerry

My mistake, thank you Magic Dutchman.
    Wouldn't a 1920 or 30's helmet lack any sort of imperial insignia since at the weirmar republic was in place?
    Also by that time Germany had been removed from all of it's African colonies.

Jesse

Jesse, you are correct, though odd that this type would be so early, but it must be if the insignia is untouched on this example and that shown on Peter's site, just a style I would think was later.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast