Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Commemorative Medal

Article about: Apart from the fact that it's German and has to do with the fallen soldiers, what else can be said about this medal? Thank you. Tom

Default Commemorative Medal

Apart from the fact that it's German and has to do with the fallen soldiers, what else can be said about this medal? Thank you.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Commemorative Medal  Commemorative Medal 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Commemorative Medal
    P
    Many

Default Re: Commemorative Medal

It would appear to be a badge given in recognition for donations (or perhaps active efforts rendered) for war graves. The reverse roughly translates as:

"Those who have received this token of iron have helped with the adornment of our brave ones' resting places."

The text on the obverse consists of the initial words of the traditional German armed forces lament "Der gute Kamerad", better known as "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden".)

"Hosaeus" was the medal's designer, the German sculptor and medalist Prof. Hermann Hosaeus (see Hermann Hosaeus ).

He also designed the WW1-era "Iron Time" medal given for gold donations (See: Datei:Medaille In Eiserner Zeit.JPG / Datei:Revers in eiserner Zeit.JPG - note the resemblance of the reverse side) and the Kyffhäuserbund's WW1 medal.

(Another link showing all these medals: Medals4Trade - Hosaeus, Prof. Heinrich )
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Thank you very much for this info HPL, more than I could have hoped for.
    I definitely see the resemblance in his other medals. I wonder how difficult these others would be to get hold of, would be nice to have them all.
    Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Thank you very much for this info HPL, more than I could have hoped for.
    I definitely see the resemblance in his other medals. I wonder how difficult these others would be to get hold of, would be nice to have them all.
    It shouldn't be too difficult, actually. The Kyffhäuserbund WW1 medal is very common, and the "Iron Time" medal is frequently seen for sale, too. Both are rather inexpensive.

(For example, Helmut Weitze currently has a dozen of the Kyffhäuserbund medals as well as an "Iron Time" medal on offer. See: https://www.weitze.net/militaria/Kri...s_1933_14.html and https://www.weitze.net/detail/04/Pat...6__171904.html )

Just for additional illustration, here is my example of the Kyffhäuserbund medal with a close-up of the "HOSAEUS" mark:

Commemorative Medal
    Commemorative Medal
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-26-2011 at 10:59 AM.

HPL, I already have the Kyffhauserbund medal, thanks for the link though. I was talking about the two Iron time medals. So.....funny story, I walked into the local dealer today and someone had just sold him this medal. It is now mine, 3 down - one to go. :-)
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Commemorative Medal  Commemorative Medal