Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings

Article about: I'm pleased to have found a reasonably prices M79. It is matching numbers s/n 4637. The butt plate markings are: 1 G A E 2 67 (struck through) and 1 M C G C D 82 Can someone help with these

Default Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings

I'm pleased to have found a reasonably prices M79.

It is matching numbers s/n 4637.

The butt plate markings are:

1 G A E 2 67 (struck through) and

1 M C G C D 82

Can someone help with these markings please?

Regards

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings  

Default Re: Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings

John

1 G A E 2 67

Ersatz-Batterie des Gard-Feld-Artillerie-Regiments ie Replacement Battery of a Garde Field Artillery Regiment.

1st Regiment. 2nd Troop ?. Weapon 67 or 1st Regiment Weapon 267 - if there is no dot between the 2 and the 67.

This unit based, in Berlin, was part of the Prussian Garde Feldartillerie Brigade, a component of the Garde Korps.

The source of the information on the marking above is Jeff Noll's book "The Imperial German Regimental Marking" - the standard reference on the subject.

Unfortunately the book sheds no light on the other marking. I would hazard a hopefully slightly educated guess that it is something to do with a Munitions Column - normally the re-issued weapons went to rear area units - the front line being supplied with up to date weapons.

Hope that is a start for you .

Regards

Richie

Many thanks for your response. The guy I bought it from has a little more info., once he has sent it to me I'll let you know.

Regards

JOhn

John

If you are able to post close up photos of the markings then further interpretation may be possible.

Good looking pistol - is it de-ac or still live ?

Regards

Richie

Super Reichsrevolver, I adore thes pistols....I have an M83 version complete with holster...it should still be live, as is mine, these guns are classified in the U.K. as "Obsolete ammunition" guns and therfore not subject to either licence or deac regs......get ammo for them and it reverts to a section 1 firearm and five years (at least) at her Majasties pleasure !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings  

Nice holster, will keep an eye out for a two foot long holster for mine! Mine is also an obsolete caliber, but it make my artillery luger look small!

Attached are photos of the markings.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings   Commission Revolver M79 - Help with unit markings  

Sorry to be smug, but the pistol will look good next to its neighbour.

"E.2.67." is an "Eisenbahn-Baukompagnie", i.e. a railway construction company, so a special type of engineers. The long stamp indeed is remarkable. "G.C.D." is "Garde-Cavalleriedivision". The first letter is an "l" and not a "1". Then "l.M.C." should be "leichte
    Munitions-C/Kolonne einer C/Kavalleriedivision". This type of ammunition column has its own position in the "Waffenetat", so it is to be
    distinguished from the ammunition columns of infantry and artillery. The privates in this unit were armed with revolvers whilst OR in the other support units were issued with carbines.