Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??

Article about: by davejb How tall was the Baron, judging by the brickwork from ground to top of his head estimated at each brick being standard size , allowing for the angle of the photo , this guy appears

?

Default Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??

Hello WW1 collectors!

There has been a thread started at WAF over an original photo of mine that I was selling. I recieved the photo along with another ww1 pic and photo lot. Some people believe that "The Red Baron" Von Richthofen could be pictured in one of my photos. IMO there is a strong resemblence. He is also wearing his cap like Richthofen did in other photos.
    I was hoping to hear some opinions......but mainly would like to find out who the OTHER pilots/officers are around the supposed Richthofen are.??
    They are wearing some pretty classy and expensive looking fur flight coats/jackets which makes me believe they could be higher ranking men. What do you think??

p.s. Someone pointed out that the older man to "Richthofen's" left might look like Major Albrecht Von Richthofen. ???

Thanks for any opinions or ANY ID's of the OTHER men!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??   Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??  

Attached Images Attached Images Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo?? 

?

Default Re: Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??

The resemblance is startling and I would be inclined to say that it is Von Richthofen. I would certainly buy it as an image of the Red Baron.
    I have no idea on any of the others.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Yes, looks a lot like him. Look at the chin to the ears and cheeks. The other officers I could not find out their names. But I discovered that Goring and Richthofen were in the same unit and when the red baron died, Goring take the unit comand until the war's end.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??  

Could very well be him....................!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-02-2011 at 02:03 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Going out on a limb here Panzer!!

I don't think it's Richtofen at all!!

I think it's actually Oswald Boelke. Look on Google for images of both, they are remarkably similar. Furthermore, i believe that the guy on his left(our right) is Wilhelm Frankl, another ace, who also commanded Jasta 4 later in the war after Boelke was killed. He only lasted four days though, being shot down in 1917.

Just a guess, but a fair one i think!

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 04-02-2011 at 02:39 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you ALL for your input. Ned, I will most definitely look into it! There are just alot of similarities to the Red Baron to make me personally think it could be him. The way he wears his cap is one of the main ones, the coat he is wearing with the black fur, and the company he is with are all things that make me more convinced. BUT....alot of people wore there caps high and slightly to the side, so it is not a deciding factor, just a similarity. These men look like elitists tho, and not your average pilot or officer IMO. Just look at those coats! haha they are pretty neat. This is a tough call, but I am more convinced than not at this point. Again, I appreciate ALL opinions and ANY help in this as it is still not confirmed in my eyes. But the majority here and at WAF has also thought it is the Baron so far.
    Ned, I cannot find any older pics of Wilhelm Frankl if there are any, but the man in my photo has blonde or light hair, and Frankl seems to have black or dark. Oswald Boelke IMO has a strong resemblence, but looks to be alot more thin. I dunno? Like I said....I appreciate your very valid input and am still keeping an open mind about your opinion, for sure! I agree your guess is a very fair one and I would like to look into it more. Either way, this is a fun and interesting photo ID for us all!

?

Quote by Consonecollector View Post
    Yes, looks a lot like him. Look at the chin to the ears and cheeks. The other officers I could not find out their names. But I discovered that Goring and Richthofen were in the same unit and when the red baron died, Goring take the unit comand until the war's end.
    You are right. Look at the dimple type lines near the cheeks! I had not noticed that until you said it. Thanks

Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??

Hi Bill,

L-R Frankl, von Althaus, Boelke. Now you can see the likeness to Richtofen i was on about, dimples an' all!!

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 04-02-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

ahhh thats a better pic than I could find of Boelke. He doesnt look as small or slim there at all, rather quite the opposite! Hes a tall man. He does have the dimple lines too! I can definitely see your point Ned. This is just a tough call. I really wish we could put a definite ID on the others. I just cant see the man to the left in my photo being Frankl tho. But Boelke is a valid possibility for sure. Good thinking about Boelke too I must say Ned.....I dont think many others would have thought of that.
    So Boelke or Richtofen, I dont know that we will ever know! haha

?

Let me ask you this.......Do you think these men look alike? I have circled them in a Bundesarchive photo and in my photo. Both have mustaches. This is a pic of JG11 with Richtofen in it as well wearing a fur collared coat

You can click to enlarge if needed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??   Could this be Von Richthofen in this photo??  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast