Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought

Article about: When I first set eyes on this bayonet I thought it was a shortened butcher bayonet and had a surprise when I pulled it out of the scabbard to find a shortened 1898 bayonet. I have seen pictu

Default Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought

When I first set eyes on this bayonet I thought it was a shortened butcher bayonet and had a surprise when I pulled it out of the scabbard to find a shortened 1898 bayonet. I have seen pictures of 1898 bayonets shortened by the Turks but I have not seen this scabbard conversion before.

Bayonet is W K & C
    Overhaul length 410mm
    Blade 245mm

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought   Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought  

Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought
    P
    Many

?

Definitely a Turk conversion. Turk bayonets are interesting in that they are so haphazard and sloppy, with no uniformity in appearance. They surely had no quality control or pride of workmanship. But, that is kind of what makes them interesting, if you wanted to, you could find dozens of different variations of the same bayo. The scabbard you show is one of at least 5 different variations I have seen.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim, I was not sure if it was a Turk conversion or something home made they must have been very green minded not to waste anything.

z4.

?

Good - and accurate - post Jim.

Not so much green minded as simply a rather poor countries' military getting every possible bit of use from equipment. Not only is Turkey a poor country but the military has a history of corruption that makes Iraq look positively responsible by comparison.
    "Money for bayonets? Why? Do the old ones no longer stab? Have the workshops cobble something together. Now, about the new headquarters Officers Club, I was thinking marble from Italy for the floors..."

?

I´ve very similar example.
    So far I have thougth that this is some German-origin trench knife version. But now I see there is a possibility for this item to be one of many Turkish conversions as well...
    So, what is your opinion, gents - should I list this bayo in my collection under German or Turkish items?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought  

?

Bruno, yours is an S98 quillback with rare metal replacement scabbard, both being cut down. It could go either way, it really depends on how and if it's marked. Some better, more detailed pictures would help.

Jim

Shortened butcher and another cut down 98 with no scabbard.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought   Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought  

Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought   Cut Down Butcher Bayonet I thought  

?

z4, like your "turked" 98/05. The S98 is not an official modification, more of a trench knife/fighting knife rework, probably by a soldier. But, who, when and where is unknown. This is a common bayo to be modified during WWI by German soldiers as they were prone to being broke because of their long, slender profile.

Jim

?

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Bruno, yours is an S98 quillback with rare metal replacement scabbard, both being cut down. It could go either way, it really depends on how and if it's marked. Some better, more detailed pictures would help.

Jim
    The scabbard looks to be a cut-down from an EB 41-44 type - that was the only metal one I know of with the collar.

Trajan