Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

'Cut out' real or fake

Article about: Hi This is currently selling online and am wondering if it looks ok to those fortunate enough to have the experience and knowledge to advise me. It has no mention of any markers (brief descr

Quote by olboy View Post
    I read most of the 'cut out' posts prior to starting this post as I need to learn and ask my own questions and they've been answered with great thanks.
    I recently bought another helmet online and I kind of knew it was a fake 1917 Camo but I went ahead anyway as I needed to learn, sounds silly I know but without having that fake in my hand I wouldn't have known what to look for when and I did buy an authenticate one. Tangible evidence is better than hear say or second guessing.....and besides authentication in another line of collectables is my day to day business anyway.
    I will say I'm rather flabbergasted though that militaria world is so awash with fakes after reading so much here and elsewhere.
    It's not an easy field to pursue. As in the entire world of antiques..sports memorabilia, vintage vehicles, study is required. Sport memo. was big 20-30 years ago. That market is pretty much shut down due to fraud & fakes. There is plenty of "good stuff" (militaria) available, you just need to know where to go to acquire it
    D.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Cut out' real or fake
    P
    Many

?

Living in Australia collectable 'fraud' isn't that prevalent......yet! It's out there but we kind of get the 'leftovers' and they are so obvious in any field.
    Our sports memorabilia has hardly been touched, it's starting to creep into the art world but given our population it's going to take sometime before it has any real significant impact.
    Militaria I'm yet to experience much of any quality here but I'm sure it's out there which to me is the thrill of the chase. I'm inexperienced in this field which suits me at the moment as I like to learn. It would have been easier if forums like this were around when I started collecting 40 years ago but thank god today is what it is because this is my life not a hobby.

?

Quote by real steel View Post
    The first helmet from the museum....there is an anomaly. Anyone can spot it ?
    D.
    The helmet does not have stepped ventilation lugs.

Regards
    Brett

Quote by Brett View Post
    The helmet does not have stepped ventilation lugs.

Regards
    Brett
    Correct. I can only admit to what I have studied on these M16-18 helmets (not much). I have not owned many. My understanding is (without asking around) the size 62-64 had the "step"...66-68 was non stepped. These ECO's are said to be all ET64...yet the museum piece has no step. I guess another anomaly.

Thanks Brett
    D.

According to my copy of 'The German Army In The First World War... Uniforms and Equipment - 1914 to 1918,' the author - Jurgen Kraus, says that... 'In August 1918, a small amount of test model helmets with the sides cut away around the ears were issued and were used for the rest of the war.' He only lists 'Thale Ironworks' as the maker. I have read (somewhere) that the larges sizes with the non-stepped lugs were only made post-1918. There was a debate about these helmets on the forum back in 2014, and I have attached a picture from the thread which was originally posted by Gunny Hartmann. This example also has the non-stepped lugs.

'Cut out' real or fake

I was also of the understanding that they were only made as ET64 and the test run was approx. 100,000 pieces. Given the number of fakes out there and the fact that a large proportion of the original 100,000 were distributed either to the Reichswehr, destroyed post war or sold to Afghan army I find it hard to imagine that any were manufactured post war for the Army unless they were made commercially as fire helmets etc ? The Versailles Treaty forbade Germany from exporting military hardware of any kind, which is why the Irish Army ordered there helmets from Vickers in the UK. There is always the possibility that the museum piece may be wrong but I don't know it's provenance so that is purely an idea...………..joys of collecting. cheers Tony

Here is mine...….ET 64 with a step.

'Cut out' real or fake'Cut out' real or fake'Cut out' real or fake'Cut out' real or fake

Here is an Afghan helmet currently for sale on the other forum...…….note it has stepped lugs to indicate a size 64..

'Cut out' real or fake'Cut out' real or fake

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3