Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

EK good or bad?

Article about: I got a call today from a guy who said he had something for me to look at. He wanted \\$40us so I thought what the heck I have wasted that much before so I took a chance. What do you think? If

?

Default EK good or bad?

I got a call today from a guy who said he had something for me to look at. He wanted $40us so I thought what the heck I have wasted that much before so I took a chance.

What do you think? If it is not good please tell my why. If you need a different shot just let me know.

Thanks
    Mike

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

EK good or bad?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK good or bad?
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK good or bad?

Nice cross with repo ribbon. $40 for it is a great price. I see these regularly going for about $65-$85, depending on what site you look at?

?

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    Nice cross with repo ribbon. $40 for it is a great price. I see these regularly going for about $65-$85, depending on what site you look at?
    I completely agree with the above.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

HB thanks for the insight. How do I tell that the ribbon is a repo? I was also wondering who the manufacture was. It looks like a KO on the ring.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Perry; 07-01-2011 at 11:26 PM.

I agree with what's already been posted. I can not tell you with absolute certainty if
    the ribbon is good or bad (from the pictures provided) But just judging from the
    absolutely mint condition of the ribbon and the average condition of the cross, that
    the ribbon is a new repro.

The old standby for checking ribbons is to use a black light on them. An original old
    ribbon should not glow under UV light. This test is not fool proof. There are new ribbons
    being made with non-UV reactive material. Also there is the burn test. This can tell you if
    the material is old silk or cloth thread or if it is a new plastic based threads.

The most common and better made fake ribbons right now are stitched down one side of the
    ribbon and looped down the other. Originals should have both edges looped. (See attached photos)

New ribbons are usually stiff. My 1870 ribbons are silk and as soft as a babies butt. My 1813 ribbon is about as delicate as a butterflys wings. I hat to even touch it for fear of doing it damage.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK good or bad?   EK good or bad?  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Chopperman,

Thanks for the info and pics for comparison. I had already done the light test and it passed. Burn test came out good. However, it is stiff and my wife says there is no way it is silk. I set the micrometer to 1cm and I only count 12 stitches even though it looks like it is looped on both ends and not stitched. That is OK. It looks good displayed with the cross but now I will make sure that I tell folks it is a repo. Do these measurements work for the the WWII crosses as well?

Thanks again for the help.
    Mike

EK good or bad?

?

I done another burn test after reading a thread on it. It was cotton. My wife thinks the ribbon does not have loops on both sides. I am not so sure but it is stiff. I count either 11 or 12 ribs in 1cm and based on what is posted here it is not real. The ribbon does not match the wear of the cross because the guy I bought it from traded for the ribbon to add it to the cross. I just want to let him know what I have found out.

Thanks again.
    Mike