Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EK2 1914,I am not a collector...

Article about: Most Imperial Eks are magnetic but not all. Some makers (AWS and Otto Schickle as example) used other metals, especially late in the war and those produced between the wars. BTW-- The story

?

Default EK2 1914,I am not a collector...

I am not a collector although after reading so many post i fear i may end up being one.I was going through our family medals and i was looking at a wound badge that i assumed belonged to my great uncle,since it is clearly visible in his a picture we have of him(profile picture) however I started using google and figured that since it had no swastika and that it was from from WW1 and likely my great grandfathers, I also found an EK2 undressed ribbon(bar) and then the latter bar with the Hindenburg cross added. I decide i am going to frame it all up and was actually happy to find a set of mounted medals that match the bars...when i receive it the EC2 is actually smaller then the EK2 and EK (1939) that belonged to my great onkle,there are no markings and although it does have the same magnetic properties as the 1939 medals.

I do not know what i am doing.

have can someone please help me out...I have a feeling i am about to learn from my mistakes.

EK2 1914,I am not a collector...EK2 1914,I am not a collector...EK2 1914,I am not a collector...EK2 1914,I am not a collector...EK2 1914,I am not a collector...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK2 1914,I am not a collector...
    P
    Many

Default Re: EK2 1914,I am not a collector...

Everything looks original, friend...and there is indeed a small size difference between 1914 and 1939 crosses, so that's nothing to worry about!
    Good luck with your display...
    cheers, Glenn

Glenns spot on,the ww1 cross is slightly smaller than it's ww2 version! Leon.

?

Well that is great news...I thank you

?

Quote by kgrunt View Post
    there are no markings
    On the EK2 there ARE markings. Get a magnifying glass and inspect the ring which the ribbon goes through on the EK2. You will usually find a couple of letters, like KO or CD or something stamped into the ring.
    Often it may be just a single letter, like G for Godet, for example.

Find the letter(s) and that will give an indication of the maker. Although knowing the maker doesn't necessarily prove it's not a fake, it does however give something to work from.

Bear in mind that not all crosses are marked...
    cheers, Glenn

?

thanks NickM, I spent a long time on that ring and there is nothing...for what it is worth it is not magnetic(the ring)

It looks a nice. original cross.
    Nothing at all to be worried about.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    You need look no further, you have everything appropriate to your great grandfather's grouping. Please post a photo of the back of the medal bar, I am sure that you will find that the the EK and Ehrenkreuz belong on this medal bar.
    The EK, I believe is an earlier one and has a cast core. Most of these, even if not marked, are identifiable as they have subtle differences in the details of the frames, dates and crowns. The right people just have to see them. Greg, or some of the others will be able to help you here.
    When together, it should look similar to this one.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 1914,I am not a collector...  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Bear in mind that not all crosses are marked...
    cheers, Glenn
    Thanks Glenn, I'd overlooked that.

Weren't all EKs iron and therefore magnetic? (apart from the naval ones which were made of brass). Would a naval one look any different from an iron EK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast