Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EK2 mm 'KAG' for review

Article about: This one looks in pristine condition. Ring maker marked 'KAG' (unknown maker).

Default EK2 mm 'KAG' for review

This one looks in pristine condition. Ring maker marked 'KAG' (unknown maker).

EK2 mm 'KAG' for review
    EK2 mm 'KAG' for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EK2 mm 'KAG' for review
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: EK2 mm 'KAG' for review

Pristine condition is a big no-no with awards that are nearly 100 years old. It should have patina and character. But there's "sympathetically preserved" and then there's "polished to within an inch of its life" like yours.
    Don't know what anyone else thinks, but that KAG stamp has me concerned too.

The ultra-polished look and that stamp make me very suspicious. Don't think I would've bought it.

Nick, I have to agree with you. The pictures looked OK, but in hand it just looks too new. I think this one goes back to the dealer. It doesn't look polished, it looks fresh from the factory.

?

That was my thought. I have an EK2 which I've cleaned up because I prefer it to look as it was when the bearer had it (rather than have 98 years of "neglect"), but yours makes even mine look dirty in comparison.
    But I would wait for more knowlegeable people's opinions on this, as I could be wrong.

?

PS, "KAG" is Kunst Aktien Gesellschaft, apparently.
    Google Translate

?

Here's mine for comparison. The obverse half of the core differs from Roger's but I think the frame and reverse core are a match. You can find Imperial EK2s in good condition but this piece (Roger's) looks like it has some sort of neusilber coating on the beading. It may be a later made piece - ie; from the inter war period or maybe even into the TR era.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 mm 'KAG' for review   EK2 mm 'KAG' for review  

Attached Images Attached Images EK2 mm 'KAG' for review 

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I agree with Adrian....although classed as an unknown maker, some believe that "K.A.G." was a distributor/wholesaler of awards, and not a manufacturer...
    Prost ! Steve.

Thank you, gentlemen. I guess my next question would be whether or not this one is a keeper. There appears to be a die flaw in the frame, top left inside. A small triangular piece that didn't get completely trimmed. It is in the same place on both sides. On the reverse side, at the top just below the ring the beading looks flat. I have spent a lot of time on the WAF looking through the 1914 EK2 database, and looking at every post I could find and have not seen this frame anywhere. I will try o take clearer pictures tomorrow and see if that helps. I don't mind it being a post-1918 product so long as it is pre-1945.

Hello Roger,
    Here is my example if it helps for reference.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EK2 mm 'KAG' for review   EK2 mm 'KAG' for review  

EK2 mm 'KAG' for review  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I would like to see better pictures. At first glance at this one,
    I am not a fan.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast