Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

The Electric Fence

Article about: Hello to all, this thread is about the Electric Fence. While many of us know wwI because of Ieper, or Verdun, where I live, the real and older inhabitants of the village remember wwI because

?

Default The Electric Fence

Hello to all,
    this thread is about the Electric Fence.

While many of us know wwI because of Ieper, or Verdun, where I live, the real and older inhabitants of the village remember wwI because of the Electric Fence, a fearce and scary tool used by the Germans.

In 1914, Holland wished to stay neutral and the Germans decided to build all along the border between Belgium and Holland this electric fence.
    This fence whas build so soldiers, could not desert, or Belgian citizans could not flee away to escape the war, but anyone touching this fence, whas instant death.

The design of the fence whas very easy, wooden poles attached with metal wires and off course electricity. Coming at this fence there whas a first line of wire, this whas to warn, the middel line , that whas the one wich had electricity on it, 2000 volt and then a 3 line wich whas again as warning.

The Electric Fence
    The Electric FenceThe Electric Fence

At the gates of this fence where soldiers posted with any age above 45

The Electric FenceThe Electric FenceThe Electric Fence

So people and soldiers still find ways to get thru, using wooden barrels, wooden windows, ladders to clim over it , ...

The Electric FenceThe Electric Fence

At some places there are now rememberance stones and pieces rebuild so that people do not forget this.

The Electric Fence

Greetings, Simon

Default Re: The Electric Fence

Hi Simke,
    Great pics i didnt know they had electric fences there at that time, i do remember the border fence when i was in Belgium with the British army. We were at Grobbendonk and turnout on the border, watching some people in Holland, it is crazy that all they have for a border is a road and a wire fence. But if it works then great, Thanks for posting.
    Dave.

Very interesting, I had not heard of this either.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello Ade and Dave ,
    thank you for your reactions, I think most of people living in villages to the border will have heard of this, or the stories, but in my village it is still a subject with lots of stories behind it.
    Of course you will find much more about this subject on the internet, but I only gave a small description of it.
    Greetings, Simon

?

Must admit i hadn't heard of this either , very interesting !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings