Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Ersatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit Markings

Article about: Hello, Here's a bayonet I stumbled onto last October. Unfortunately I don't have the Carter Bayonet Reference books, but this one is apparently Ersatz Bayonet #56, from what I understand. Un

Default Ersatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit Markings

Hello,

Here's a bayonet I stumbled onto last October. Unfortunately I don't have the Carter Bayonet Reference books, but this one is apparently Ersatz Bayonet #56, from what I understand.

Unit marked: 1 E. M.G. K.XIII.A.K. (if I am reading the markings correctly).

I haven't tried my Evaporust product on the scabbard yet. From my experience with the product it looks like the small area of rust build up should come off nicely, and most likely there is no pitting to the metal underneath.

One side of the blade is a bit odd looking, as the black area on the blade almost looks like some sort of very thin plating has worn off from the steel. Any thoughts on this?

Best Regards,

Alan

Ersatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit MarkingsErsatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit Markings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ersatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit Markings
    P
    Many

?

Excellent bayonet Alan!

Adler

Thanks very much Karel, I appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Alan

Greetings Alan,

I thought you'd might enjoy some images of these EB #56s being used by Kingdom of Württemberg Soldiers. This bayonet was exclusively issued to their troops. All images' credits go to their original posters.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on image to enlarge.

Ersatz Bayonet #56 with MG Unit Markings

Hello Lance,

Thank you very much for posting the images of the EB #56s being used, that is amazing to see these rare photos. The 3rd photo is especially interesting, as the soldier has this bayonet on his rifle, and he still has a bayonet in it's scabbard, somewhat hidden behind his left arm from what I can see in the photo. I cannot quite determine if the bayonet in the scabbard is an EB #56 or not. Maybe someone has better eyes than I do and can see it.

Again, thanks for sharing these rare images! They're probably even rarer than the bayonet itself.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

Oh Yes, I will either have to thank Lance for that great pic of it being used on a Kar98a or curse him while I try to find one to go with my Kar98a collection

Great pic's Lance!!! And a great pick up Alan

Lance would soldiers of Baden also have used this or just Württemberg?. I'm just asking as I have a Baden Picklehaube and I do the Helmet, Rifle and Bayonet theme for my collection.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Greetings Phil,

Who knows what items were recycled after a battle. While these bayos were initially issued to Württembergers, another unit moved (subsequently) into the line may have re-utilized these after their original owners fell in battle and damaged/salvaged equipment was returned and reissued from a local depot. Point being, one can never say never when you take this possibility into account.

Alan, the gent has two bayos as someone handed him their (already prepared) rifle for taking a photograph. Think multiple individual shots of a group and not everyone has grabbed their individual rifles. I've no idea of the other bayo, my eyes are no better;-)

Cheers,

Lance

?

Thanks Lance. I was asking about Baden because I always see the two used together .etc." Baden-Württemberg". and I will have to do my own homework to see if thy did indeed fight together during WW1

Semper Fi
    Phil