Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.

Article about: Found on the net, for those who taught relics are not messed with!

Default Re: fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.

Adler, quite right !.......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement fake, aged pickelhaube sold as attic find.
    P
    Many

Quote by Adler View Post
    Sorry guys, but for an experienced pickelhaube collector it's not so difficult to see that these are fakes...

Best regards from Belgium,

Adler
    I agree Adler; ...on the first two I have showed, but with the last one showing the GDC and the Saxon Reiter.... can you tell by those pictures they are replica's? Even the British dragoon look's very good to me.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

why did they make the back so big and put that funny linner in it?

?

Stuka f, that can be a rather simple answer: would you buy a helmet that's worth more than €10.000 just by looking at one small picture? I don't think so...
    Helmets of this caliber in mint or near mint condition always demand a hands on inspection. Also, nobody buys helmets like these as a first helmet. Normally when one decides to purchase one of these, he has done his homework and has some expertise about pickelhauben...
    So, what I mean is: the first helmets are very easy to spot just by the form and looks, even on a small picture. The metal helmets shown are impossible to detect by one small picture 4 x 4 cm.
    These (original) helmets are about 100 years old and will always have a specific patina. You can only see this by handling a lot of helmets, having knowledgable fellow collectors who are willing to explaine some things and by knowing some thrustworthy dealers who show interesting things from time to time... That's how it works...
    But hey, that's just my opinion...

Adler

stukaf-
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had no idea that these were now being faked. I agree with those who stated that these might fool a novice. Anyone who has handled the real deal would recognize them for what they are. The artificial aging is not very convincing.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Adler View Post
    Stuka f, that can be a rather simple answer: would you buy a helmet that's worth more than €10.000 just by looking at one small picture? I don't think so...

Adler
    At 500 or 1000 € I might take my chance!! Not in thise particular case; knowing what we know, but I can imagine they do sell. There is still a majority out there not knowing what is faked and what isn't.
    Helmets of this caliber in mint or near mint condition always demand a hands on inspection. Also, nobody buys helmets like these as a first helmet. Normally when one decides to purchase one of these, he has done his homework and has some expertise about pickelhauben...
    So, what I mean is: the first helmets are very easy to spot just by the form and looks, even on a small picture. The metal helmets shown are impossible to detect by one small picture 4 x 4 cm.
    That is what I ment!!
    These (original) helmets are about 100 years old and will always have a specific patina. ...
    They do, and as a profesional restaurer I also know how to imitated....some. And I am not the only one!!!
    You can only see this by handling a lot of helmets, having knowledgable fellow collectors who are willing to explaine some things and by knowing some thrustworthy dealers who show interesting things from time to time... That's how it works...
    Believe me; I know how it works, being for more then 25 years in the antique buisiness.
    But hey, that's just my opinion...
    Wich I agree with and respect!!

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    stukaf-
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had no idea that these were now being faked. I agree with those who stated that these might fool a novice. Anyone who has handled the real deal would recognize them for what they are. The artificial aging is not very convincing.
    Hello Bob;
    It is nothing compared to your effort of what you show us.
    I just had thise urgent feeling of wanting to start collecting spiked helmets again; seeing Adler's collection, but I must say it coolled some how seeing what I have put here, and I do mean manly with what that last duplicater in India is showing. I am still not shure thise are the examples he delivers. But anyway I came to a conclusion I am going to keep a little bit secret , because if every one is coming to the same conclusion thise is going to make it harder for me.
    Best regards
    Kris

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2