Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds

Article about: Howdy folks! I just came back from an estate sale this morning and would like to show my haul! All in all i paid \\$170 Check out those prices! \\$12 for the belt!! and \\$15 for the japanese cant

?

Love that beautiful patina! -does the stamped 105 mean anything?
    First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale findsFirst Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds
    Rear and front skirt! It is named! Cannot read it because it is in faint handwriting but it's definitely named! (or has some kind of writing but I would assume that it is a name.)
    First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale findsFirst Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds
    P
    Many

Member oradour is the man you need! He will give you all info about those stamps.
    But in odrer to read what is maket on leather, you need to moist it! Do thise gently with a clean soft brush and clear water.
    Thise is how it is going to look;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds   First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds  

First Pickelhaube/ Estate sale finds  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Ho, sorry! Just saw that the 105 stamp, probably will be the size of the belt ;105cm!
    And btw that buckle looks great!
    cheers
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

Treat the chinstrap on that pickelhaube with care, because it looks like an original one, in which case there's not far off $150.00 in that alone. Agreed about reshaping it slowly on a former. With a bit of patience you can find original cockades and an original plate, and then it will look stunning!

PS IR 180 is a Wurttemberg regiment, so you need to find a Wurttemberg plate and cockades, not quite as easy as Prussian but it can still be done. The regiment was part of the 26th Reserve Infantry Division and you can see a summary of its wartime history here: Militaerpass.net - 26. Reserve-Division order of battle and 1914-1918 overview

?

I've since tightened it up to where it does not dangle under the liner and placed it up on the visor, not too tight though. It's amazing that the liner and chinstrap are both so supple and pliable after all these years in contrast to the actual helmet that had shrunken/ warped. I'll try to look around for a cockade, if I find one i'll post it for approval. Thanks!
    John

Glad you managed to get the chinstrap up on the peak. It might well have been worn with the strap down, but to be honest they look so much better with the strap up. Good luck searching for the missing parts. Patience will indeed be a virtue, but you will get them in the end!

I think that belt and helmet have always been together. It's a bit of a coincidence otherwise that both are Wurttemberg. To me it seems highly likely that the soldier was issued with an old belt and the markings are from its first owner. Being a reserve division they would have had to make do with second best. The two pieces make a great little group which should always be kept together.

Here is a dealer you can trust, who has two at reaosonable prices!
    Helmet Plates
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Oops, I neglected to mention that you need a plate with the reserve cross, which I imagine must be quite scarce. I don't know this dealer but assuming he is ok as stuka says, plate HP 45 is the one you want. I suggest asking how far apart the lugs are before buying, as if they don't fit then the plate is no use to you. Anyway he is on holiday till 22 Sept so there is plenty of time to think about it.

Quote by William1 View Post
    Oops, I neglected to mention that you need a plate with the reserve cross, ......
    Missed that one too! Thanks for pointing it out.
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast