Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Found a demag ersatz crank handle bayonet - real or fake?

Article about: WW11 German Rifle Dagger Boot Knife Scabbard Bayonette - eBay (item 170554608803 end time Oct-25-10 19:10:46 PDT) I did as much research as I could, and everything checked out. Apparently I

Default I won a demag tonite - that appears to be real.....

WW11 German Rifle Dagger Boot Knife Scabbard Bayonette - eBay (item 170554608803 end time Oct-25-10 19:10:46 PDT)

I did as much research as I could, and everything checked out. Apparently I didn't pay too much for it considering the rarity. I also like the condition of the blade and handle but the scabbard does leave something to be desired. So far, this is the best bayonet I ever owned beating out my Springfield 1903 in original scabbard, my KI US M4 bayonet and my numbers matching 98k CQH (not that any of those are really awesome, but still). This demag is one that I won't be selling, it will live with my 337Q Case knife and my Kabar MK1 pattern, Springfield 1903, etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found a demag ersatz crank handle bayonet - real or fake?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Found a demag ersatz crank handle bayonet - real or fake?

Heerspistole, ive merged both your threads, as it serves no purpose to have two seperate threads about the same item.
    AZPhil...re/advice over wether real or not, I guess its experience, as well as knowledge of an item, (do your homework) consider the look, feel, smell (yes, really !)..of an item, all the factors/pointers I have mentioned above, come into play when purchasing a "Demag", the stampings, the construction (rivits,screws etc) the belt loop and retainer, and in my experience these knifes are nearly always painted, in all shades of field grey/green and some more !, if your not entirely happy then post and the members here will give you their observations.
    Prost ! Steve.

So the bayonet that I won is real? So far I'm getting mixed reviews from another forum. What do you guys think?

Your crank handle bayonet is 100% original....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Mr. Grist,

Great news from none other than the moderator himself. Who better to answer?
    Thanks Bill. I am wondering though if you could shed some light on the stamping, the demag stamp itself. I was told by another collector that the demag stamp with stars / asterisks between the demag and duisburg is wrong ie a fake, and that they should be dots instead. I wondered if the earlier bayonets had dots, that were also marked DRGM? Is mine just a basic sub variation? What really clues you in to it being 100% authentic?

(I am not questioning you at all, I'm just trying to learn about these)

Thanks very much.

?

I am following this on all fronts/forums, so that I may add a real one to my collection. The other collector even used this site to prove his point of real or fake. If possible please explain the Dots vs Astericks.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...ngewehr-10259/

[QUOTE=AZPhil;202237] If possible please explain the Dots vs Astericks. [url]

Phil, it would appear that both have been observed on originals, I have yet to find an explanation for this....however, pointers for replica v real, the frog and frog press studs are incorrect, the stud being unmarked and the frog much longer than an original, the replicas are generally blued and not painted as an original (until the fakers get to work!), any Demags you are interested in, post for evaluation....meanwhile heres some photographs.....showing the "Demag" in use, a known "Fake/replica" (notice the lack of indentations on the release button and longer frog and lack of scabbard throat screw) and then a rare Turkish varient with full muzzle ring attachment for fixing to Turkish Mausers....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found a demag ersatz crank handle bayonet - real or fake?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Found a demag ersatz crank handle bayonet - real or fake?  Found a demag ersatz crank handle bayonet - real or fake? 

?

Thanks Steve for that, I didn't notice it till you said it but the release button does look different, and look for the screw on the scabbard. Mental Note made!!!!!

What really puts a twist to this is that my Janzens Notebook on Bayonet's(now these are drawing)
    Shows one of these but the marking on the blade is totally different than these markings that are being shown.

I also really like that pic with it in use, That is a very funny pic considering everybody got Big butcher blade and the new Guy gets the toothpic,
    Thanks for sharing that pic!!!

SEMPER FI

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    ... I also really like that pic with it in use, That is a very funny pic considering everybody got Big butcher blade and the new Guy gets the toothpic,
    Thanks for sharing that pic!!! ...
    This is not a "new Guy", this is the "Stoßtruppführer" P.C. Ettighoffer, wearing the Gewehr 98 with mounted "Grabendolch Modell 1916" !

It seem´s, that this particular image was borrowed from one of my thread´s anywhere in the www. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2