Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gallipoli Stars x 2

Article about: by Horst Great information : heres the Half-moon in wear by Grandpa. Horst Horst, Nice bit of familly history, fantastic that you can relate back to the award within your own familly. Jock

Default Gallipoli Stars x 2

Guys,

While the medal frame is open, I thought I would pop these on here as I love this design, a classy badge in any time period!

I understand there is a poor quality version with paint instead of enamel for other ranks.

The photos are with and without flash to try and show the detail?

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli Stars x 2   Gallipoli Stars x 2  

Gallipoli Stars x 2   Gallipoli Stars x 2  

Gallipoli Stars x 2   Gallipoli Stars x 2  

Gallipoli Stars x 2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gallipoli Stars x 2
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Gallipoli Stars x 2

Jock - very nice, I have one from my Grandfather who served in WWI in the middle-east not seen to often as a screwback.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli Stars x 2   Gallipoli Stars x 2  

"He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Quote by Horst View Post
    Jock - very nice, I have one from my Grandfather who served in WWI in the middle-east not seen to often as a screwback.

Horst
    Horst,

Very nice, do you have any idea of the qualification criteria, I understand it is equivilant of EK1? I guess therefore similar criteria?

Jock

?

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Horst,

Very nice, do you have any idea of the qualification criteria, I understand it is equivilant of EK1? I guess therefore similar criteria?

Jock
    Jock - your on the money, was the Turkish equivalent to the Iron Cross first class, issued for bravery in the field .

Horst

Quote by Horst View Post
    Jock - your on the money, was the Turkish equivalent to the Iron Cross first class, issued for bravery in the field .

Horst
    Gentlemen, not strictly true....when this Turkish award was worn by German/Austro-Hungarian reciepiants (usually Asian Korps) it took a lower precedence to there own Iron Cross 2nd class !...it was prescribed by regulations not to be worn as a daily item, the ribbon (red/white/red/white/red) being worn thro the 2nd buttonhole instead (like the EK II). Many officers wore there award permanantly centre below right breast pocket. There was no officers version, the original Turkish award was issued to all and was a painted affair, many Germans & Austro Hungarians upon returning home either bought a replacement award or had a local jeweller make one up, these replacements were inlaid, detailed and made of far superior materials than the originals, i have seen vertical & horizontal pins and screwback versions, many makers including Godet made them available, B B & Co a Berlin company were prolific makers and are usually the type most commonly encountered. . It was awarded for gallantry in battle, and its official name was the Ottoman war medal, or Harp Madalyasi in Turkish, it had many names 'Gallipoli Star ', ' Eiserner Halbmond ', ' Iron Half Moon '.
    i show mine (front & rear) a salty looking original Turkish version along with a photo of ribbon and the rare campaign bar (which was rarely worn). I also show a poster i spotted near Olu-Deniz whilst on holiday last year in Turkie. It apparently advertises Turkeys lament at the loss of life in the Great War.

Attached Images Attached Images Gallipoli Stars x 2  Gallipoli Stars x 2 

Oradour,

Thank you for the potted history, that is very clear now.

I must say the Turkish version is 'nasty' at best, I can see why on return home troops would want to purchase something easier on the eye. I was unaware of the ribbon or bar, there looks to be no markings on it, white metal or silver? What does it say exactly?

Jock

jock auld, it wont be silver...unmarked white metal, as for what it says, well thats the million dollar question, i have no idea, is there a Turkish member in the house ?.....as for nasty, well i wouldnt quite put it that way, i love it !

Quote by oradour View Post
    jock auld, it wont be silver...unmarked white metal, as for what it says, well thats the million dollar question, i have no idea, is there a Turkish member in the house ?.....as for nasty, well i wouldnt quite put it that way, i love it !
    Looks like a bit of remaining gold wash on the bar? My neighbour opposite is Kurdish maybe he can translate, I will ask?

Jock

?

Great information : heres the Half-moon in wear by Grandpa.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli Stars x 2  

Great stars guys,
    i wouldnt mind, putting one of them in my colletion....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast