Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gendarmerie helmet?

Article about: Hi, just got some photos from a friend of mine who bought this today and I didn't recognize it. It wold be great if you guys with knowledge could tell me what it is. The badge in the front s

?

Default Gendarmerie helmet?

Hi, just got some photos from a friend of mine who bought this today and I didn't recognize it. It wold be great if you guys with knowledge could tell me what it is. The badge in the front says: suum- cuioui

Cheers Al

Gendarmerie helmet?Gendarmerie helmet?Gendarmerie helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gendarmerie helmet?
    P
    Many

nice helmet,I would guess french hussars.?

?

Appears to be a Prussian guard cuirassier helmet from around the Napoleonic period. Not sure the actual time period they wore that style, but I believe it came into use sometime around 1812.

?

Okay, thanks alot for the info. What would be a reasonable value for this helmet do you think?

Thanks Al

?

Helmet is missing the chin strap and comb and I can't attest to its originality. I no idea as to value, other than - you do not see them everyday.

Quote by aicusv View Post
    Appears to be a Prussian guard cuirassier helmet from around the Napoleonic period. Not sure the actual time period they wore that style, but I believe it came into use sometime around 1812.
    I can only confirme!
    Very rare and expensive helmet if original.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

The badge belongs to the Hoher Orden vom Schwarzen Adler (Order of the Black Eagle). The phrase SUUM CUIQUE is latin for "To each, his own"

This design was popular during the Napoleonic Wars, worn by Russian Life Guards, Saxon Currassiers, etc. But keep in mind, many of these helmet designs remained unchanged throughout the century. It is most likely a mid-late 19th Century helmet. It appears to be top quality if original, which would make sense for a member of the Prussian nobility.

?

Okay this was really interesting. My friend wonders how much it could be worth if original, is it someone who can give some kind of value-direction? I know it's up to the collector what he wants to pay but how much have you guys seen these go for before?

?

Russian helmets appears the same, but the plate has the Russian eagle (two heads are better than one) and the motto is in cyrillic letters. Prussia would have stopped using these by the 1840's when they started with the spikes.
    Never saw one of these up for sale before, a Russian one sold a while back but can't come up with what it went for. You could try searching on line to see what values you can come up with for helmets of the period.

Don't think you would find one, and if you are; it will be mentioned "price on request"!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast