Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German 1888

Article about: Hello guys ,I,ve come across a German made Austrian 1888,it as a badge added to the handle at a later date i doubt wether you can tell when it was added but are these bayonets far and few be

?

Default German 1888

Hello guys ,I,ve come across a German made Austrian 1888,it as a badge added to the handle at a later date i doubt wether you can tell when it was added but are these bayonets far and few between with or without the badge ,any info would be welcome,Paul. Ps what would the going price be for such a beast,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 1888   German 1888  

German 1888   German 1888  

German 1888  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German 1888
    P
    Many

?

Very rare! Most people wouldn't even know that it is German, at 1st glance they look just like the Austrian 1888 they were copied from. That's why I always check, even common bayonets, markings. Don't know about the emblem, especially since it is on the reverse grip instead of the obverse. Who knows when it was put on, but I wouldn't mind seeing some close ups of it.

Jim

I will move this to the Imperial forum.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Default 1888

Hello Jim here,s a closer pic of the badge ,ii have had a look at various sites on the web and i think it is a DRL sports badge stick pin (may be) ,would,nt like to say how it came to be on this piece ,Thanks Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 1888  
    Attached Images Attached Images German 1888 
    Last edited by paul a; 11-12-2014 at 11:47 AM.

?

Too bad someone did this. On the bright side, it is on the obverse, so it will still display well. Still a rare bayonet and you can always live with a problem or two with a rare one!

Jim

I reckon trench art or a later embellishment pre WW2 ...... still a neat piece!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Thanks Guys ,What do you think one should pay for such a thing ,the guys asking £200 for it ,Paul.

?

Quote by paul a View Post
    Thanks Guys ,What do you think one should pay for such a thing ,the guys asking £200 for it ,Paul.

If the added eagle wasn't there, I would say that is a fair price, with the eagle, not so much. If it were just pinned on to the grip, sitting on top of the wood, it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that it has been "inlaid" into the wood is going to hurt it pretty substantially IMO. The grips are riveted, so changing one will be next to impossible. Removing the eagle will leave a pretty big hole and the only way to repair it would be to inlay a piece of the same wood. That is going to take some work and skill. It can be done, but would it be worth the effort? I would say no, unless it could be had for less than half of what he is asking.

Jim

?

Hello Jim ,The seller is selling it on behalf of his mate so were in the process of getting the price down but i don,t think he will knock more than £50 off it so i,ll have to make a decision,but i hav,nt seen one before so we,ll have to see,Thanks again Paul.

I would like to point out that the DRL eagle shown
    on the grip is a 'supporters' pin - the one with
    the wreath is actually a badge.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast