Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

German 92nd infantry regiment

Article about: Hello everyone, I have a few questions for the historians! Over the weekend i have done some research on the 92nd infantry regiment out of curiosity and it appears that the pikelhaube for th

?

Default German 92nd infantry regiment

Hello everyone,
    I have a few questions for the historians! Over the weekend i have done some research on the 92nd infantry regiment out of curiosity and it appears that the pikelhaube for the 92nd is very rare/valuable. With that being said, does that mean that this was some sort of elite unit? Also is it true that they have a totenkopf incorporated into the caps? I have looked pictures of these caps but have not had much luck. (I am specifically interested in ww1 era)

Thanks,
    Michael

?

The Braunschweig ( Brunswick) Infantry Regt. nr.92 was a standard Imperial German Army line infantry regiment, and not an 'elite " unit.
    The pickelhaube is highly valued because of the wappen, or front plate includes the metal skull & crossbones, from the old "Black Brunswickers" of the Napoleonic Wars. It also includes the battle Honor "Peninsula".
    A 'haube from this regiment will be much more expensive than a standard Prussian infantry example.
    Any uniform items from the Brunswick Hussar Regt.nr.17 are also rare and expensive.
    Check the website of a dealer such as Helmut Weitze in Hamburg, and you will get an idea of prices for these items.

BobS

BobS
    Last edited by BobS; 11-10-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

?

I will try to attach some original pictures of members of IR92 with the skull and bones emblem worn on their caps.

I have more that may show the cap more plainly, I will try to find them so you can see the device better.

IR 92 was the only complete infantry regiment provided by the state of Braunschweig, therefor the Braunschweig helmets are very uncommon - actually downright rare. There were two unit emblems used on the pickelhaube, one with the running horse for the 1st and 2nd battalion, and one for the 3rd battalion, the 3rd battalion wore the now famous emblem with the totenkopf which became the standard plate for the entire regiment after 1912. Here is an example of the first and second battalion's device:

The above is on eBay in an active auction but I would rather not provide a link.

The above can also be seen here:

Colonel J's - Identity - Pickelhaube and Imperial German Musings

The third battalion, and after 1912 the entire 1st Braunschweig IR92, wore:

The above has been borrowed from Colonel J's website at:

Colonel J's - Articles - M15 Steel Plates

It is the wartime M1915 version.

For some history of Die Schwarzer Schar (1st Braunschweig, IR92) a short but accurate history of the Brunswickers is available at the recreated IR92 reenactors' website at:

https://sites.google.com/site/ww1ir92/home

Enjoy the visit.

?

Ah, found another that clearly shows the cap with the totenkopf device:

This shows the Prussian national cockade, the Braunschweig totenkopf and the Braunschweig state cockade in blue and gold below.

?

Very interesting. . Thank you for the information and pictures. I find them very helpful

Michael

?

Here you have the Officer's versions of both Pickelhauben... Running horse for 1st and 2nd battalion, Totenkopf for 3rd battalion.

Adler