Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German bayonet ID ?

Article about: Got this one today. It says "Deutschland" on the handle and "Steyr 1883" on the blade. Can anyone tell me what model this is ? Thanks HB

Default Re: German bayonet ID ?

Some more pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German bayonet ID ?   German bayonet ID ?  

German bayonet ID ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German bayonet ID ?
    P
    Many

Romania did not change sides once but twice during WWI first they joined the allies then after the defeat of Russia they stood sides with Germany and in 1918 they turned again and joined the alies again.
    Probably these bayonets were confiscated and most were converted to fit the gewehr 88 by grounding of the back

Jean

Thanks Jean !
    Great info, I do not know much about WWI.
    Best
    HB

HB

Found the book !

Small quantities of Romanian Model 1879 bayonets were used by the Germans. Some were unmodified whilst some had the pommel machined down by 1.5 mm. This enabled a slightly better fit to the Gewehr 88. I can't really tell if yours is a modified example or not. If it has been, the depth of the slot should be 9 mm deep

Carter is of the opinion that these bayonets were probably purchased from an arms dealing firm rather than being captured. He illustrates one with serial number T2017.

Both modified and unmodified M1879 with German markings are "rare and hard to find"

Regards

Richie

Hi Richie

Thank you very much for taking the time to find the book, I appreciate your help Very much !!
    The slot on mine is approx 10mm deep, so it has not been altered.
    I think I need to get me that book some day.
    Is this what is called an "ersatz" bayonet ?

Best
    HB

Quote by Richie B View Post
    HB

Found the book !

Small quantities of Romanian Model 1879 bayonets were used by the Germans. Some were unmodified whilst some had the pommel machined down by 1.5 mm. This enabled a slightly better fit to the Gewehr 88. I can't really tell if yours is a modified example or not. If it has been, the depth of the slot should be 9 mm deep

Carter is of the opinion that these bayonets were probably purchased from an arms dealing firm rather than being captured. He illustrates one with serial number T2017.

Both modified and unmodified M1879 with German markings are "rare and hard to find"

Regards

Richie
    Last edited by hbhansen; 04-11-2013 at 10:39 PM.

HB

The term ersatz tends to be used by English speaking collectors to describe the all metal bayonets made by the Germans in WW1. The term used by the Germans themselves, according to the book by Carter, was Aushilfsseitengewehre.

I think your bayonet probably would be classed as requistioned - as stated before, probably from an arms dealer. One of the largest of these was Adolf Frank Export Gesellschaft (ALFA) of Hamburg who had large stocks of obsolete firearms and bayonets.

That's all I can find I'm afraid.

A very interesting bayonet.

Regards

Richie

Thanks again Richie, you have been a great help to me
    Great info all the way !

Best
    HB

And now the question everybody hates..... what's the approx value on a piece like this
    Sorry I just had to ask

Best
    HB

HB

That I can't really help with. Value is difficult as they are so rarely seen.

Regards

Richie

Yes, the problem is that there are no reference anywhere as to the value.... At least not that I can find on the internet...

Best
    Henrik

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2