Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Canteen

Article about: Picked this up at the West Coast Militaria Show yesterday. Best I can tell it’s a German 1916 canteen missing its hanger. Could not find an example with the corduroy type cover, is this norm

Default German Canteen

Picked this up at the West Coast Militaria Show yesterday. Best I can tell it’s a German 1916 canteen missing its hanger. Could not find an example with the corduroy type cover, is this normal? Also, best I can tell this canteen is not suppose to have a cup, but I could be wrong, I don’t know a thing about these canteens. Sorry for the horrible photos, still have not replaced the broken camera so using the cell phone...Did You Hear That Santa?

German Canteen

German Canteen

German Canteen

German Canteen

German Canteen

German Canteen

Russ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Canteen
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German Canteen

Morning Russ I was able to track down a little info for you on your canteen and will post some comparison photos sorry if the photos come up small it wont let me enlarge them here is a link for you the canteen is referred to as a model 1915/17 Feldflasche and there were variations of the cover done in a corduroy type material hope this helps as best as I can tell these canteens were not issued with a cup and it would appear to be a small metal cover that screws to the end of the cap via the canteen webbing.ww1 pommersches pionier story and militaria collection

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Canteen  
    Attached Images Attached Images German Canteen  German Canteen  German Canteen  German Canteen  German Canteen 
    Last edited by Mark K; 11-20-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: ADD INFO

Mark,

Thank you very much for posting this information. Sadly we are missing the leather carrier strap but I think we still obtained a nice piece for next to nothing. Our cap is slightly different, surley just a variation of the canteen. The link is very informative, thanks again.

Russ

?

No problem Russ just glad I could help I googled photos of German WW1 canteens and found a few other examples out there Nice find by the way.

Regards Mark K

?

Russ, the canteen is genuine WW1 German type with corduroy cover

Cheers Scott.

Thanks Scott......it looks good sitting up on the shelf, just needs a period helmet to go with it!

Russ, it is a model 1915 with "simplified strap" (not all had full straps), just around the neck with a large spring clip stiched on it, no body harness, unless there is evidence to purport that a body strap existed, an imprint on the cover, loose stiching on the leather strap...it was common for this pattern of bottle to be covered in brown corduroy. WW1 German water bottles did not have an attached cup as in WW2. The cup, either a Model 1894 folding handle cup or a Model 1916 enamel cup, was either carried in the breadbag or clipped to the waterbottle on its spring clip. see photo....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Canteen  

Quote by oradour View Post
    Russ, it is a model 1915 with "simplified strap" (not all had full straps), just around the neck with a large spring clip stiched on it, no body harness, unless there is evidence to purport that a body strap existed, an imprint on the cover, loose stiching on the leather strap...it was common for this pattern of bottle to be covered in brown corduroy. WW1 German water bottles did not have an attached cup as in WW2. The cup, either a Model 1894 folding handle cup or a Model 1916 enamel cup, was either carried in the breadbag or clipped to the waterbottle on its spring clip. see photo....
    This is great news, thanks so much for posting. No, absolutly no evidence that it had straps around it. Looks like the only thing missing is the spring clip.

Thanks again,

Russ

Russ.....Forgot to mention...the clincher to either having a body strap or not, is the alloy/metal nodule on the bottom of the bottle for fixing the body strap to.....if it does not have one, which it seems not to have, looking at the photos you posted, then its definetly a M15 simplified strap version.
    Prost ! Steve.

Thank you again Steve, no nodule on the bottom.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast