Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German Cartidge Box

Article about: Hi, While going through my friend's grandfather's military collection I came across this named German cartridge box. Since I am primarily a WWII era collector I am not entirely certain of th

Default German Cartidge Box

Hi,

While going through my friend's grandfather's military collection I came across this named German cartridge box. Since I am primarily a WWII era collector I am not entirely certain of the exact era this cartridge box is from. I would appreciate any information you can provide about this piece as I am very curious about its history. Thanks.

-Brian

German Cartidge BoxGerman Cartidge Box

Default Re: German Cartidge Box

The 2nd Baden Infantry Regiment "Kaiser Wilhelm I" # 110 was an infantry regiment of the Baden army . In 1852, established regiment was part of the 1871 Baden contingent in the Prussian Army.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thank you for the help. What period would this item date to? Franco-Prussian war or WWI?

-Brian

I would say so but the imperial guys will know more on this subject.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Brian......Welcome to the Imperial sub section, they are Model 1850.....the first documented variety of ammunition pouch.....used in the wars against Denmark, Austria and France, until replaced as primary ammo pouch by the Model 1874...these pouches and subsequent issue from 1874/87 up to the M1909 (WW2 style) were all worn throughout the Great War by the Imperial German Army, older styles usually employed by Landwehr/Landsturm units. Herr Zentner is correct re the unit I.D.
    Prost ! Steve.

Steve,

Thank you for the info. Just out of curiousity how common is the model of ammo pouch? I had trouble finding more examples of this piece online. Thanks.

-Brian

?

This is actually a M1874 pouch. The M1850 had the flap closing in the front (toward the outside).

Also, the WWII pattern pouch was based on the M1911 cavalry ammo pouch.

Regards,
    CCMJR