Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German CDV unknown uniform

Article about: Anyone id this persons uniform. He has a troddel on his sword, so perhaps military though police or fire is also possible I assume. Thanks for any help.

Default German CDV unknown uniform

Anyone id this persons uniform. He has a troddel on his sword, so perhaps military though police or fire is also possible I assume.

Thanks for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German CDV unknown uniform   German CDV unknown uniform  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Interesting he appears to be a NCO due the lace on collar and cuff. I wonder if the sword and belt belong to the photographer? It is a mounted belt set up, but the uniform has the Brandenburg cuffs. The 3 town listed on the back of the photo are all in Hesse. To bad there isn't a helmet in the photo.

I notice he has plain buttons, so no help there, doh. A nice image with them all playing happy families, though a miserable bunch!
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I thought he may have been a driver for Fuss Artillery, but his shoulder straps are not white. The collar and cuffs are darker than the uniform. This would make them black or red as both colors appear dark in BW photography. The shoulder straps look to be only a little lighter than the uniform.

I did find a plate showing Bavarian Field Artillery with Brandenburg cuffs, white belts, and red shoulder straps. Plate is dated 1900. So is it possible that Hesse wore this cuff in the late 18th century, before switching over to the Swedish?

Thanks for taking the time to research this, much appreciated. I have enlarged him a bit?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German CDV unknown uniform   German CDV unknown uniform  

Regards,

Jerry

?

Unfortunately I have no information on non-military uniforms, so it still could turn out to be something civil. I think it is military and pre-1900. The wife and children clothing appear to place it around 1890.