Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.

Article about: I like the aging to the exterior paint, it certainly looks to have been there for a 100 years. The interior has no aging at all, so definitely done by 2 different people at way different tim

Default German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.

This helmet arrived today, and I have to say that I have never seen a camouflage pattern like this on an M16 before. The inside of the helmet has obviously been cleaned and repainted at some time - as can be observed by the paint in the pitting. But the outside is something else! All the pictures were taken outside. When looked at indoors, the two-tone finish is nowhere near as obvious, and the white is quite grubby. The leatherwork isn't too bad, and all three pads are present. Opinions always welcomed.

German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.
    P
    Many

A few more pictures, taken indoors this time. The colouring isn't as strong.

German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.German M16 helmet with unusual camoflage.

I never saw such painting!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hello,

color is IMO not original ! Look the rust spots under the color .......
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

Quote by yellow12 View Post
    Hello,

I agree with Markus, the paint is just not convincing, and appears to be over the rust.

Plus, we know that the helmet has been messed with by looking at the inside.

?

I don't think this one is right, when I first looked I thought WOW, however after looking at it more closely. I am not convinced it is correct. I have a few WW1 German Camo Lids, and I know they did all types of patterns, however what bothers me is that the ageing on the white lines seems to run along the white lines, like it was aged with a paint brush. I do not see ageing or damage crossing the white lines in the way it should if this Lid was used after the lines were painted.

Just My Thoughts.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

Just another thought, I do not see the wear on the top of the Lid that I would think should be there. On Most of my WW1 German Helmets, I see a lot of wear on the top, due to the helmet being put on the ground upside down.

Again, not trying to burst any bubbles here, Just my thoughts

Dean O

?

Have to admit i think this one is a semi relic thats been messed with, theres too much pitting under the paint, both interior and exterior, and if thats the case then the camo is modern

Quote by yellow12 View Post
    Hello,

You are bound to get the odd rust spot under the colour. I have a raw edge Brodie whose history is known, and even that has the odd bit of rust under the camouflage colour! These helmets were camouflage-painted in the field, and over a period of time you will get rust bubbles popping through and the paint lifting - not something you get with the factory-applied finish though. This is the problem with just looking at photographs of an item. I was originally put off because of the obvious re-paint to the inside. Whoever painted the inside was rather foolish to do so, because it does make you doubt the rest of the helmet. But very close examination of the outside of the helmet tells a different story. The 'artificial aging' to the white is the darker base colour showing through as the brush has been drawn down to apply the dividing line. There is actually very little rust showing through the paint, and it most certainly hasn't been painted over rust! There is substantial paint loss to the helmet, and in other areas the paint has been applied so weakly that again the base colour shows through. There is NO PITTING AT ALL to the outside of the helmet, and the original factory applied colour can be seen in places. I have only ever seen one other helmet which has utilised white dividing lines. I am not trying to convince anyone here to change their opinions, but if I wanted to fake a WW1 camouflage scheme, I certainly wouldn't do one like this!

IMO its a good one.

IMO the reason for the 2 colorus in the white line; the darker brown was put first, when it dried the owner put the lighter one and right after that he painted the white line; that it why the dark discoloration in it is (mostly) on the side where the light brown is.
    But varnished IMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast