Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels

Article about: Name: Henckels bayonet.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 128.3 KB  ID: 931146 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Excuse me for using these photos from its Ebay listing, but they're li

Default German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels

German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels

Excuse me for using these photos from its Ebay listing, but they're likely better than I can take myself. I just purchased this Imperial bayonet made by and marked J. A. Henckels and dated 1917. This is exactly how it came, but my question is about the unmarked frog which to me looks like one from the Third Reich instead of earlier. It seems to be brown on the back (though that might just be unfinished leather) and black on the rest. As can be seen, it has been repaired by the replacement of one of its rusty steel rivets with a shiny aluminum or zinc one. Although there are no serial numbers on either bayonet or scabbard, it appears to have the same inspector's initial on the pommel of the bayonet and the finial of the scabbard though they're both very faint. Also, was it usual to paint the scabbards of Imperial bayonets? Any thoughts or information would be appreciated!

German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels
    P
    Many

SRB
    ?

anything written on the scabbard? leather ww2 90%...

Nothing remains if there ever was anything. Since posting, I have noticed one interesting feature, though: The frog looks to have been made to accommodate a wider bayonet like a M. 1898/05 and has been "taken up" or made smaller with a line of stitching; also, the slot to accept the stud on the scabbard has been enlarged like for a Czech or some other bayonet having a flat stud.

German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels German M84/98 II Bayonet by J.A. Henckels