Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Naval Flag

Article about: Can anyone help me with info on this flag?? The only info i have on it is on an old envelope that came with it, it says, German flag captured during Cameroon expeditionary force 1914-1915 at

Default German Naval Flag

Can anyone help me with info on this flag??

The only info i have on it is on an old envelope that came with it, it says,

German flag captured during Cameroon expeditionary force 1914-1915 at Kribi near Douala in the Cameroons by the boarder of Equadorial Guinea by commander Hughes R.N.R.,D.S.O. commanding Nigerian Gunboat Ivy.
    District Commissioner at German Consulate.

Doing a google search i cant really find much info, i have found that there was a Nigerian Gunboat in the area at the time called Ivy and the commander was Hughes, but thats about it.

If anyone can help me with any info at all that would be cool, also i would like to know what type of ship it is off, ie Navel, Merchant, and if it is off a ship at all.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and sorry about the pic, bad lighting

German Naval Flag.

Default re: German Naval Flag

Hello,

this flag is the german colonial flag used by the "reichskolonialamt" up to 1918 in the various german colonies in Africa and in the pacific islands

In Africa, there was Kamerun and Togo ( west africa ), the actual Namibia ( south west africa ) and actual Tanzania ( south east africa )

The german troops used to protect these colonies were called "Schutztruppen" and wore distinctive uniforms

They used the flag illustrated in this thread

Best regards, Hervé

Default Re: German Naval Flag

Wow, thanks for the info Hervé , that is fantastic, i did a quick search and found a pic of my flag, when i bought it i was told it was a off a ship, so thats what i thought, never thought it was a colonial flag, this is great, i will now do some more digging on the net, i want to put it behind glass and want to write a little story about it, so now with this info i might even be able to find out where it came from, fingers crossed.

Thanks again
    Paul