Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

German Skull Insignia FOR REVIEW

Article about: I would not be surprised if it's actually good. I have seen some pretty "funky" WW1 "sculls". Regards, Lars

?

Default Re: German Skull Insignia FOR REVIEW

I might add a photgraph of Infatry troops of IR92 wearing the skull and bones:

German Skull Insignia FOR REVIEW

The photo is probably pre-WW1 but the emblem remained in use throughout the War by Infantry Regiment 92. The Brunswick Skull and Bones can be seen on the caps of all present except the senior officer standing in the center as well as on the tent fly (awning) behind them.

Or maybe these guys are inland pirates?

?

USNV5, I agree with the thinking that this is a WW1 piece, but as others have stated, the construction is not as you would expect from German manufacture, to crude.....i wish i had a more definitive answer, lol !!!!!

?

Yes, I would agree it is crude but these insignia were difficult to come by as the War went on, they certainly weren't vital to the war effort but they were important to unit pride. IR92 had huge numbers of casualties and the "skull and bones" insignia didn't last long, there were, of course, shortages and not all men coming in were issued with them, especially after 1915. If it is indeed what I think it is, it could have been crudely made by an individual using casting in a hand cut mould. But, who knows, it may just be a fantasy from any place at any time.

?

The skull is bullion type with a backing...it was defiantly sewn onto a hat....and it definitely is old.

I agree with USNV5. This skull is almost certainly a Brunswick Skull from a hat or cap. There was nothing even Remotely uniform or regulation about the Brunswick skull pieces-you look at the photographs and almost every one you see shows a totally different skull from the man next to him. Some had beautifully made metal pieces and were very professional and impressive, but by the same token, many had hideously crude and cartoonish handmade cloth skulls also. Apparently, if you wanted one, you just went out and found one or made one yourself. The piece posted here is silly looking in the extreme, but it Is Also quite Old and would fit easily into being a Brunswick-which I suspect it likely well Is.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Not old enough. Could be for the Yale 'Skull and Bones Society'.
    I don't think it's German at all.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Not old enough. Could be for the Yale 'Skull and Bones Society'.
    I don't think it's German at all.........
    Agreed, the construction doesn't look German to me at all. It's true that the IR92 wore a Totenkopf, and also true that sometimes these Totenköpfe varied somewhat in style, but they did follow a general pattern, which this does not follow IMO. Also, I haven't seen a Totenkopf from IR92 in bullion(not saying that they dont exist however), and I have only seen metal insignia for caps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3