Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which German state's General?

Article about: General officers of which German state had such blue-red chevrons on their shoulderboards? At first I thought it might be Oldenburg, but as far as I know that state's Army was a part of the

?

Default Which German state's General?

General officers of which German state had such blue-red chevrons on their shoulderboards? At first I thought it might be Oldenburg, but as far as I know that state's Army was a part of the Prussian Army. So the chevrons for Oldenburg should be black. Am I not mistaken?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Which German state's General?  

Default Re: Which German state's General?

makoff...you are quite right...these are the colour of flecks (shoulder board state colour chevrons) in the Imperial German Army 1871-1918....
    Prussia :- Black.
    Bavaria :- Light Blue.
    Saxony :- Green.
    Württemberg :- 2 Chevrons, one of Black one of Red.
    Hesse :- Red
    Mecklenburg :- 3 Chevrons, one of Blue one of Red one of Gold.
    Other States :- As Prussia.
    The Imperial Navy :- one Chevron of Black of Red.
    The Schutztruppe (Colonial Troops) :- Repeating Black and Red Chevrons.

Lets see if some advanced collectors/experts show up to as they usually do.....eventually, to enlighten us !
    Prost ! Steve.

KSH
    ?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Wurttemburg :- 2 Chevrons, one of Black one of Red.
    When are you native English speakers going to realize that the state is called WÜRTTEMBERG or alternatively WUERTTEMBERG - where "UE" is an alternative way of rendering the letter "U" with the Umlaut (Ü)?

The words Burg and Berg are two completely different words. The writing of the Umlaut is not optional in German and it is not trivial.

The two German words Schutz and Schütz are two completely different words with completely different meanings and are pronounced differently.

I have resisted the urge to comment on such matters before, but now I just felt compelled to do it for the sake of the German language which is very dear to me

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.
    Last edited by KSH; 12-30-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Herr (hope its spelt correct) S-H....unfortunately German is not my first (or come to think of it my last) language...there are plenty of times I have winced and wanted to correct foreign speakers of the English language, but as it a very British thing, I have thought it rude to do so....as I have clearly understood their slight of hand....I have seen no reason to...unlike you, who have clearly understood what I have attempted to convey to those interested in this thread....unfortunately it would appear that my keyboard does regard the "UMLAUT" thingy as trivial, as it does not have such a key ! I find your tone to be of an offensive nature and rude, please if you wish to remonstrate in English, try not to be so "Germanic" perhaps a more Norwegian approach ? ......Thank you.
    Cheers ! Steve.

KSH
    ?

Dear Steve, I am sad to read that you find my attempt at formulating constructive criticism to be of a rude and disrespectful nature - this surely was not my intention and I am sorry if it came across as being such. I find your interrogative sarcasm to be of no cordial character mind you.

This is not a forum where we gather to critique and discuss the English language - on this I whole-heartedly agree. This is however a forum (this section and the Third Reich section at least) where we gather to discuss German historical artifacts and thus as a consequence also what to call them and how to refer to them, namely German terminology. This forum is a place of learning, where the newer members take after the more established members and as such bad habits spread very quickly online once they have been established. The best way to make the learning experience easier and more consistent in this regard is to refer to the German artifacts and related entities by their correct names - this will also make it much easier to cross-reference with other sources for all members, new or established.

You may contest my view and that is fine - that is what a forum is all about. You will however get no apologetics from me pertaining to the subject of the intervention in question here - as I stand by my content full and by. I will however concede to admit that my initial intervention could have been more aptly conceived.

As a postscriptum I will note that I in my initial intervention offered a standardized way of rendering the 'Umlaut' fully compatible with a British keyboard.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

Quote by KSH View Post
    Dear Steve, I am sad to read that you find my attempt at formulating constructive criticism to be of a rude and disrespectful nature - this surely was not my intention and I am sorry if it came across as being such......

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.
    I am sure it wasn't.
    I can imagine such things getting to some one's nervs when focused, I have the same thing when I see some people showing theyre "restorations" when all they did was trying to fix it.....
    I hope nobody is going to examine my syntax an spelling faults!!!
    ;-)
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Gentlemen...this is a forum where no one collector or contributor should attempt to best another, wether it be by aquisitions or by intellectual prowess. Here on this forum, we pride ourselves on this friendly approach...if one cannot agree to this agreeable situation, then it may be best suited to them to find a site that will tolerate such behaviour.....IMO this site does not. I care not a jot if another member, especially from another language speaking country does not quite get his English grammer or spelling right, we get there in the end, we know where and what Wurttemburg is, wether spelt correctly or not !.....enough said I think, as we must not hijack this thread, we must get back to this mysterious shoulder strap.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve, you must learn to spell your foreign words correctly and just be glad he did not pull you up about the use of the term 'Imperial Navy'.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

KSH
    ?

I see Steve, that you have chosen not to comment on my views vital to my argumentation in my last reply - such is your privilege. I shall not continue my argumentation in this thread out of respect of the original subject of the thread. And we may agree to disagree here Steve, that is clear. I will close by saying that I resent the implication you put forward in your last reply, namely that my intention was to best myself at the expense of fellow members - such subjective and may I add downright malignant and nasty speculation has no place in a cordial exchange of words between two parties.

You have clearly stated what you will tolerate and not tolerate here - and I shall respect this in the time to come, though I deeply disagree. I hope this exchange will not cause any ill spirit between us in the time to come, it shall not cause it to be so on my account.

I am also disappointed to note that my point has been lost on all commentators in this thread.

Regards.

Kenneth S-H.
    Last edited by KSH; 12-30-2011 at 08:42 PM.

?

jeez wurtz this all about bluddy speling cumon noww its the time ov gudwill rgds Dave thee dunce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast