Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German sword

Article about: Firstly, sorry for the quality of the pictures.... I am useless and there is a deep scratch on the front lense of my camera.... awaiting a new one. I am a German WW.2 collector normally but

Default German sword

Firstly, sorry for the quality of the pictures.... I am useless and there is a deep scratch on the front lense of my camera.... awaiting a new one. I am a German WW.2 collector normally but this came along yesterday with another 2 swords. I have no idea if its a good, rare, valuable or unusual sword any info is appreciated and an idea of its worth as I will be looking to move it on and want to get a fair price for it without going overboard.
    Its a nice looking piece and hopefully someone knows exactly what I have here.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German sword   German sword  

German sword   German sword  

German sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German sword
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Default Re: German sword

I think it's an English made sword , do to the Star on the blade . Also looks to be a Queens Crown . I would think it is an English sword .

Yes, I would say its a British Victorian sword but I dont recognise the type.

English sword.
    chris

Thanks for that, I don't know what made me think it was German.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Thanks for that, I don't know what made me think it was German.
    ...beer, sun....???
    ;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

What it looks like is a British 1822 pattern Infantry Officer's sword with a solid (non-folding) guard which would make it post 1845. Which the Germans did make for export as they did with the swords for many other countries. But I'm troubled by the grip which should be sharkskin. Having seen later 20th century ones made in India with some kind of animal skin, although it may just be an example of somebody's "do it yourself" work (?), although my immediate sense of it was the first possibility. With for myself better pictures of the grip and etching needed to try and make a more accurate determination. Regards, FP

Hi FP,
    After having spent some time looking at the piece this afternoon I can only agee with yourthoughts about it being an Indian made piece. I have no doubt about this now and will be far more careful in the future.

Yes, its marked VRI (Victoria Rex Imperator) which Means Victoria Queen Empress. Queen Victoria was the Empress of India but not of Britain, and so this is an Indian marking. I have a very similar British sword and mine is just marked VR.

Edit, I have just looked up the VRI designation online- it came into use in 1877 and since Queen Victoria died in 1901 your sword must be between these dates.
    Last edited by douglas2496; 07-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes, its marked VRI (Victoria Rex Imperator) which Means Victoria Queen Empress. Queen Victoria was the Empress of India but not of Britain, and so this is an Indian marking. I have a very similar British sword and mine is just marked VR.

Edit, I have just looked up the VRI designation online- it came into use in 1877 and since Queen Victoria died in 1901 your sword must be between these dates.
    Those are the dates that I know of, but most respectfully from the swords I've examined in the past I did not at all get the impression that they were period irrespective of whatever cypher was present. And while it's been awhile since I've seen a fresh example, I still remember the pungent odor of whatever was used to tan the leather. With the same leather grips, pungent odor, and quality of workmanship on multiple different types of copies of British swords as they entered the marketplace. I also saw a comment as it regarded the 21st Empress of India's Lancers (regiment) and its use of the VRI Cypher from circa 1900 until its amalgamation with the 17th Lancers in 1922 with different regimental badges sometimes seen on swords. And this link to Canadian use of the VRI which I found fairly interesting - but not something (badges) that's in my main areas of interest. Regards, FP

CSC Discussion Forum: VRI versus VR