MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German U-Boat Photos and Postcards

Article about: I would like to start a thread in which members will post their WWI U-boat photos and post cards. Hopefully, we can collectively create a substantial photo reference. I will start with these

?

Default Re: German U-Boat Photos and Postcards

Ub-4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German U-Boat Photos and Postcards  

?

U-43
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German U-Boat Photos and Postcards  

?

U-49

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Mel: Those are super photos. Is that that U-35 in the upper photo? And the U-Deutschland photo is really impressive. That looks like it was taken in June 1916 on her departure from Helgoland to Baltimore. Where did you find the album? Dwight
    Hi Dwight

Thanks for the comments.
    I picked the album up in an auction in the USA. Of all my 'stuff' this item is my favourite, my avatar pic comes from the same album. What is spooky is that a couple of months later I got some WW1 imperial photos and they were of the same main characters.

Recap

Thanks for the info on the U-Boat.

Mel: Now that I'm home again I can pay more attention to what's going on. Those are excellent photos, and I can see why that album is a favorite. I would sure like to find a similar album. The UB-4 was sunk by gunfire on 15 August 1915 off the British coast near Cromer. She was attacked by the British armed sailing smack, Inverlyon. U-43 survived the war and was surrendered to the British on 20 January 1919. She was scrapped in 1922 at Swansea. U-49 was rammed and sunk with all hands on 11 September 1917 after firing two torpedoes at the SS British Transport. The British Transport, evaded both torpedoes and rammed the still submerged U-boat.Dwight

i have very much enjoyed this thread,thanks to all who posted

Redcap: the U-1, 2, 7, 9, & 22 are another excellent group of photos. Are they from the same album? U-1 was used as a training boat throughout WWI and is now on display in the Deutsches Museum in Munich. U-2 was also a training boat and was scrapped on 19 February 1919. U-7 met an unfortunate fate when U-22 mistakenly torpedoed her on 21 January 1915 in the German Bight off the coast of Holland. U-9 survived the war and was surrendered to the British on 26 November 1918. She was scrapped in 1919. U-22, the same boat that torpedoed U-7, survived the war and was surrendered to the British who scrapped her in 1919-20. Dwight

I ran across these and thought they were interesting.

They appeared on another public forum. One is in the thames maybe getting ready to go under London Bridge. The other piece of one was taken in America (Sorry, there was no other information)

Anton

Nice photos! The real soldiers who fought then!

Anton: Nice photos. The upper photo is the mid-ship pressure hull and conning tower of the mine layer UC-5. I was unaware that all or part of the boat came to the United States. If the upper photo was takem in the US, then it must have been during the 1919 Victory Bond Drive. The UC-5 ran aground on 27 Arpril 1916 off Britain's East Coast near Harwitch. She was unable to get off and the crew scuttled her. The British salvaged the wreck and towed it into Harwich. The lower photo is the U-155, ex-U-Deutschland. As the U-Deutschland, she was the world's first unarmed cargo submarine designed and built to break the British blockade and carry goods between the US and Germany. She made two trips to the United States in July and November 1916. She was converted to a war boat in 1917 and designated a U-cruiser, U-155 In that photo she's going up the Thames en route St. Katherine's Dock to be displayed as a war trophy. Thanks for posting them. Dwight

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast