Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German WW1 Artillery Officers Picklehaube

Article about: Hello, Today I stopped in an antique store and saw this picklehaube, I tried doing research and learned a little but I need someone who knows these kinds of helmets to help me out, one of th

Default German WW1 Artillery Officers Picklehaube

Hello,
    Today I stopped in an antique store and saw this picklehaube, I tried doing research and learned a little but I need someone who knows these kinds of helmets to help me out, one of the cockades are missing also, he wants 400 euro and I don't know if its a good price or not, what do you think? Thank You. - Nick K

German WW1 Artillery Officers PicklehaubeGerman WW1 Artillery Officers PicklehaubeGerman WW1 Artillery Officers PicklehaubeGerman WW1 Artillery Officers Picklehaube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WW1 Artillery Officers Picklehaube
    P
    Many

It's a Saxon artillery helmet for enlisted personnel.

Are they common? also I thought the gold metal chinstrap in the front meant it was an officers? - Nick K

?

That is a very good buy for a model 95 Kugelhelm. I would jump on it and run friend.
    The Kugel (ball) base is for an officer. The liner and front and back bills are for enlisted. Probably private purchase.

Is a model 95 Kugelhelm hard to find? Whats an approximate value? Im sorry for my lack of knowledge I just saw this in an antique store and really wanted it. - Nick K

A very nice picklehaube.

?

$1200 would be a fair price for it on any dealer site.

wow that's a steal! When I buy it I will upload more pictures! - Nick K

As said above-a Nice Kugel and in good shape as well. The cockards are worth over 100 just by themselves.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

That's a very nice one! Congratulations!
    But... it's not an M95 for enlisted men.
    It's a private purchase Saxon Fuss Artillerie M94 for a Fahnrich as worn before 1897, most likely as his "Diensthelm".
    Why so, you will probably ask... well it's kinda complicated.
    This type of helmet was introduced in 1894 for enlisted men and NCO's. This helmet has the EM liner, the wide trim on the visor and the rivets in the base plate of the ball top. On the other hand it has the officer's Perlring, officer's kokarde and flat brass chinscales.
    Enlisted men of the Fuss Artillerie had leather chinstraps from 1894 on.
    In 1897 the reichskokarde was introduced and had to be worn on the right side. The state kokarde had to be moved to the left side.
    Looking at all this, it's only possible that the helmet was worn by a Fahnrich because of the Officer's attributes on the EM helmet. We can actually look at it as an upgraded EM helmet.
    Because the liner is the same as a standard issue helmet for EM and because the visor and the neckguard are leather and not lined, it was most likely used as a diensthelm (every day use) in the Kazerne or in the field.
    The state kokarde on the right side and the absence of a reichskokarde indicates that the helmet was worn before 1897, so you don't need a second kokarde.
    I would certainly not change one thing on this helmet because it's completely original as it is. I would also not clean this helmet because it has a very nice patina. If you change something, a perfect helmet would loose a lot of his looks an value.
    My two cents of course...

Adler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast