Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guidance is greatly appreciated. WW1 Prussian flag? I'm guessing.

Article about: Not the greatest pics. Not in my hands, I will try to obtain better pics. Which war? What country? Is it even a flag used by an army? Thank you.

Default Guidance is greatly appreciated. WW1 Prussian flag? I'm guessing.

Not the greatest pics. Not in my hands, I will try to obtain better pics. Which war? What country? Is it even a flag used by an army? Thank you.

MAP
    ?

I will leave authentication to others but I'm not sure I would call it a "flag". Unless it has been cut down, there are no cords or grommets to fly it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Im told the dark stripe is blue. Still waiting for additional pics. After some more digging, could this be style banner/flag be displayed upside down in the two attached pics? Amateur guess, something from the Franco Prussian era, 1813? Pure speculation on my part.

That is the Marine Jack of the North German Confederation, 1867-1871. The colors, top to bottom, Red, White, Black. Dwight

I like it.
    Just out of curiosity, how big is it?
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    That is the Marine Jack of the North German Confederation, 1867-1871. The colors, top to bottom, Red, White, Black. Dwight
    Superb! Thank you for your knowledge. Searching NGC info/pics, I see the IC is much larger than the smaller one displayed in my thread. Would this cloth example be an official style/sample for the period?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I like it.
    Just out of curiosity, how big is it?
    Wish I had it in my hands. I'm trying my best to acquire more information and pictures. My guess is a little over 4 feet wide and just under 3 feet tall. When you say you like it, does this mean you can safely say it might be authentic?

I do not have any experience with these to be able to tell
    you for sure it is the real deal or not. However to my eyes,
    it looks to have the right and construction to be real.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It has the look of a period piece. But it may be some sort of homemade flag. Perhaps a veteran's flag. The iron cross is always symbolic of the Army. I like it.

Yes it's genuine and very old. All the official German navy flags for the period prior to WWII were wool. In fact, even the Berlin Wasserpolizei boats that I saw in the 50's had wool flags, so apparently they are still making them. And your size estimate is probably about right. I flew WWI a Kaiserlichemarine flag on my sailboat during fleet week in San Francisco that was about 3x5 and made of wool, but it was a nachbau and not a period original. A flag of about 3x5 would have been flown from a relatively small vessel like a cutter, a gig, or a customs boat. Dwight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast