MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone had any dealings with....

Article about: Great War Militaria based in Pennsylvania? Are they reliable? (I've done a search here but haven't found anything that indicates a yea or nay). Relates to a previous post: http://www.warreli

Default Has anyone had any dealings with....

Great War Militaria based in Pennsylvania?

Are they reliable?

(I've done a search here but haven't found anything that indicates a yea or nay).

Relates to a previous post: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...helmet-425197/

Many thanks
    Tim

?

I have never bought from them myself, but a couple of years ago I was asking questions about something they had, I found them to be less than helpful.
    I have frends that live in Gettysburg and Hanover, both towns are not far from them, and those people will not deal with them and have warned me away for doing so.

However as I have said, I have not bought anything from them myself.
    Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Hi Dean

Many thanks for the reply.

Any idea why you were warned away from them?

(Edit: You can PM if you wish)

Cheers
    Tim

?

Well my friends that are both collectors and dealers just said he was a crook, nothing more.

Again this is what I heard from locals, and I have known those people since about 1980. One of them, whos name I would prefer not to mention . Owns a Museum with his Father in Gettysburg that is Civil War to WW2 and is well known.

Dean O

Thanks again for the feedback Dean.

Cheers
    Tim

Greetings Tim,

I have purchased two high-end knives and some bayonet mounted wire cutters from them before (via the internet & not in-person) and while pricey and slow to respond to my initial e-mail, I never had any issues with my deliveries or purchases from them. The militaria market is rather cutthroat in Gettysburg, PA; so I would not be overly surprised one or more dealers in the area despised/disparaged one another (rightly or wrongly). My purchases were roughly two years ago. I would not hesitate to buy from them again, if there was something of interest to me in their offerings.

Regards,

Lance

I have dealt with them repeatedly over the years and have never had any problems.

?

After Dean's posts - Dean, no offense to you personally intended, I must post my face to face, in person experiences with Great War Militaria;

It has been a few years since I have regularly done business with them, but in my experience GWM is one of the best suppliers of WW1 items - original and reproduction - in the US and can be relied on for good service and fast shipping. Their prices on some items are high but on others average or low, the same as any other business dealing with antiques, especially those in the Gettysburg area. They are knowledgeable and share their knowledge and experiences freely. They also do high quality restoration of original items, everything from weapons and uniforms as well as period automobiles and even artillery. While they were the first suppliers of reproduction items to the still growing WW1 reenacting hobby here in the US I will state categorically that, under no circumstances will you receive an item from them that is a reproduction unless you have ordered it as such, it will be 100% original. If restored, it will be described as such - in detail - and you will be able to get quality photographs of the item to help you make your decision before buying. GWM is an honest business, they are not "crooks" as described above.

For a description of their business, go to their website and read the following:

Great War Militaria

also, see their home page at:

Great War Militaria

At the first link, you will see the name of the owner and Rick will treat you right after over 30 years in the business.

Tim, I see you are in Australia and are intelligently concerned with doing business with someone out of the country. Contact them upfront when considering making a purchase. While occasionally gruff, they will reply and give you an honest description of their items. If you decide to buy, you will receive what you think you are buying.

?

Please, as I stated more than once , I have not bought from them, I only told of my asking questions about an item they had, and they were less than helpful..and somewhat uninterested in dealing with me.

Yes, I agree in the Gettysburg area it can be rather nasty between dealers..however in that area I know several that work together.

I think it is correct, that when dealing with people and companies outside your own Country, you must let them know up front.
    I did do this when I first contacted this company... telling them I was from Canada. Perhaps this is the reason they did not want to be helpful as many American Dealers do not like to sell outside the US... and this happens in other Countries also.

I am just trying to clear the air here, maybe when I contacted them they were having a few bad days.. or maybe they do not like Canadians..who knows.

AGAIN JUST MY THOUGHTS

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your replies - it is very much appreciated.

As with most businesses, I dare say there will be those that have differing views - just as long as a lot of people are not saying that a business is a little 'iffy'.

Again - thank you.

Cheers
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast