Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Has anyone had any dealings with....

Article about: Great War Militaria based in Pennsylvania? Are they reliable? (I've done a search here but haven't found anything that indicates a yea or nay). Relates to a previous post: http://www.warreli

I have acquired items from them over the past 25 years off and on. When I was a novice with Imperial German items in the late 80's and living overseas I cam across some items in Japan that were traded to the port market vendors by soviet sailors out of Vladivostok, some pickelhaube etc. I didn't know much about them then but had bought some books from GWM to study before buying items, I mailed them (things went slower then and the items were out of the way and in no danger of being sold) questions with some snapshots. They wrote back quickly and informatively and were nothing but gentlemen and made no effort to discourage me from buying these items in preference to theirs. I have bought things from them periodically as one is wont to do when interesting items pop up and I agree that for the most part they are accurately described and have a no quibble return approach. No surprise that there are a variety of 'opinions' about the legitimacy of items but such is the life of a collector. As with ALL dealers, you have an obligation to know your stuff and be educated about what you are buying otherwise I think you can't always place the exclusive onus on a dealer, as they can often handle many variations of items etc. And dealers can be wrong, and collectors are not faultless either. My only peeve about them is the poor quality and selection of images of sale items on the website, but I also don't think they've updated their site format since about 1998.

As the internet rose and competition stiffened up they have had less and less of what interests me but occasionally some nice things turn up, prices are varied - some bargains, some a bit eye watering, but no different than other dealers. They have always been quick to communicate with me and address problems.

A good example is that a few months ago I purchased a small item from them, they somehow made an error and sent the item to the house I lived at ages ago. They realized it once they got delivery receipt form FedEx it went to the wrong place. The contacted the homeowner before calling me to make sure the item was there, was safe and made arrangements to get it to me properly.

Will people have bad experiences with people while others do well with ? - certainly, but I would not discourage anyone from dealing with these guys.

anyway my $0.02

I have purchased from GWM and have always been very satisfied with both the item received and the service provided. I would not hesitate to make a purchase from them. Never a problem and extremely smooth easy transactions.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have been to Chambersburg but never dealt with them.

?

or maybe they do not like Canadians..who knows.

AGAIN JUST MY THOUGHTS

Dean O
    Ajax Canada[/QUOTE]

Hell even the Canadians don't like Canadians.
    They all come to the USA and become movie stars and comedians.

Many thanks for all the replies - I have now purchased the item.

Cheers
    Tim

?

Congratulations on the acquisition Tim. I hope it is all that you expect it to be.

And Dean, as I said, no offense to you was meant but using the word "crook" in a post is never a good thing to do, especially if you have never done business with that person or company, your information was second hand. If I sounded harsh, I apologize, it was directed at the source of your information, not at you and I should have clarified that. You have very adequately described your experience with GWM and I understand where you are coming from, at times they can sound less than pleasant in their correspondence but they are honest in their dealings.

Personally, I have never met a Canadian that I didn't like, the same with Aussies.

?

No Offense taken, I was asked what I was told, so I posted it.
    It's a funny world of collecting, there are people I have dealt with for years and stand by them as being fair ect, however friends of mine have had problems with the same people and will not deal with them.

Guess it is just luck of the draw, and to be honest, I do a few Military shows myself to get rid of items I no longer need, and I hate dealing with the public, Catch me at the last hour of a show, and I can be somewhat nasty at times, as I get sick of "pickers" thinking the whole world is like that show on TV.

By the way, I have met many Canadians I don't like!!! And some Brits and some Americans... I can go on and on, but as a rule, most people I come across are good people, some are even Great!!!

Dean O

Ajax Canada

Quote by USNV5 View Post
    Congratulations on the acquisition Tim. I hope it is all that you expect it to be.

...Personally, I have never met a Canadian that I didn't like, the same with Aussies.
    Many thanks - and that's because the majority of us are cute...

Cheers

Just an update on this item - almost to it's new home :

Date & Time Status of Item Location
    May 6, 2014 , 12:00 pm Processed Through Sort Facility AUSTRALIA

Your item was processed through a facility in AUSTRALIA on May 6, 2014 at 12:00 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

May 6, 2014 , 2:35 am Customs Clearance AUSTRALIA
    May 3, 2014 , 10:45 am Processed Through Sort Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    May 3, 2014 , 10:43 am Arrived at Sort Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    May 2, 2014 , 5:08 pm Depart Post Office CHAMBERSBURG, PA 17201
    May 2, 2014 , 4:07 pm Processed through USPS Sort Facility HARRISBURG, PA 17107
    May 2, 2014 , 11:49 am Acceptance CHAMBERSBURG, PA 17201

Well the helmet has finally arrived and as it's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow so some photos should be in order, but the main reason for posting right now is a question.

It's the first time that I've dealt with Customs. The helmet arrived in Melbourne on the 6th May (having travelled 12k km in 4 days). Tracking showed that it had passed through the Sort Facility at 12pm. I honestly thought that I had successfully negotiated Customs without problems (and money) as I've managed to do in the past.

However, there it stayed. It got to the point where I actually emailed the Seller and asked if he could follow it up because trying to contact USPS in Australia, is just a nightmare.

I finally received notification via Australia Post (a letter - good to know they are keeping up with the modern world) on the 12th. They indicated that I was required to fill out various pieces of paperwork before it was released - and if it wasn't done by the 15th, they would begin charging me for a 'storage fee' (???seriously???).

Being new to the process I enlisted the help of a 'Customs Broker', and, long story short it has - as I've indicated - arrived today (a somewhat belated Birthday present to myself).

My question - and I'm sorry it has taken so long - is this usual process? It seems to me more than a little long winded and one that may well encourage people such as myself to employ (obviously gainfully...) others. The upshot was that the cost of fees, etc was in my eyes a little steep.

Cheers
    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2