Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet Liner Question

Article about: Hi Gents, I have an old Stahlhelm that I'd like to partially restore, and am wondering about the helmet liner. My helmet has no liner, or even any trace of one, if I put one of these in ther

?

Default Helmet Liner Question

Hi Gents,
    I have an old Stahlhelm that I'd like to partially restore, and am wondering about the helmet liner. My helmet has no liner, or even any trace of one, if I put one of these in there with some split pins would it be correct?
    German army M16 WWI WW1 repro helmet liner **w/pads 66 - eBay (item 290523804050 end time Mar-17-11 13:57:11 PDT)
    I'm only asking because I thought that I had also seen metal rims/liners on some helmets.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet Liner Question
    P
    Many

Default Re: Helmet Liner Question

Eddie, you have not said what type of helmet you have, I assume it is an M16 shell, i.e. has M91 type chinstrap mounts (Pickelhaube types) on inside of skirt, or is it devoid of any mounts, if so it will be an M18 shell. If an M16 shell, you can fit an all leather liner/pads as on an original M16 helmet or a steel banded/leather pads M17 liner....an M18 helmet has a similiar liner but with bales for the chinstrap mounted on the liner band. The liner on E-Bay in the link given is dreadful !..if you want to go down the restoration road try this firm, Military Reproductions in my humble opinion the only people to use.....I have an M18 shell I am debating wether to restore, if I do, this is where I shall go !
    Hope that helps,
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Eddie ,it might be better if you can post pictures of the helmet in question, that way help can be better offered

?

Geez, sorry fellas, I meant to post a link!
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...igslist-27745/
    I know that these pics aren't the best, but yes, there are solid metal chinstrap mounts, like the ones on a pickelhaube.

?

Nice, thanks for the link and info Steve! I can see now why the ebay one is terrible, thanks for saving me from that!

Quote by doomtown View Post
    Geez, sorry fellas, I meant to post a link!
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...igslist-27745/
    I know that these pics aren't the best, but yes, there are solid metal chinstrap mounts, like the ones on a pickelhaube.
    Eddie, the world is your oyster !....you can either choose an all leather liner (M16) or go for the steel banded/leather pads liner (M17), its your choice, as we will never really know which liner was fitted originally !...please post when complete.
    Prost ! Steve.