Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube

Article about: Hello Everyone, I need some help identify a recent purchase. Yesterday I was in an art gallery in Northern Nj. Sitting right on the fireplace mantle was this beautiful helmet. It was labeled

Default Help Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube

Hello Everyone,

I need some help identify a recent purchase. Yesterday I was in an art gallery in Northern Nj. Sitting right on the fireplace mantle was this beautiful helmet. It was labeled "WWI Drummer Boys Helmet". I am no expert, but I know there was no drummer boy wearing this Artillery Officers helmet. To the best of my ability it looks all original. The chin scales and leather strap are definitely original. It looks like its never been worn. The lining on the inside has come un done a bit, but other than that, its in nearly perfect condition. The wappen has what looks to be a small colonial eagle soldered in between the legs. This is something I have never seen before. Perhaps a veteran of a colonial occupation? One other things I would like to know is, what was that little loop on the underside of the back rim used for? If anyone would care to share their oppinion it would be much appeciated.

Thanks kindly,

Jess
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube   Help Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube

More images needed to I.D. it looks O.K. on the interior, Officers or one year volunteer private purchase..would need to see images of top side, by the distortions/depressions on the inside of the crown, I would say cruciform spike mount...no idea on the rear spine fastner.
    Prost ! Steve.

You downloaded the images as I posted......I will evaluate....
    Prost ! Steve.

This is a "Beamte" Kugellhelm from an Artillery regiment, identified by the small "Reich" contingent wappen (small eagle motif) affixed to the Prussian front plate (Large Wappen)....a "Beamte" is a military employed official, not a soldier, but a civil servant with the rank equivalent to "Leutnant", they had different styles of Pickelhaubes to regular units of the Imperial army, the most popular known "Beamte" is the "Zahlmeister" or pay master. These types of Pickelhaubes are rarely shown or discussed in reference books.....they are rare when compared to the availability of regular haubes. A good find...worth around $800+
    Prost ! Steve.

Here are two additional photo, let me know if you would like any other angles.
    Thanks for all the info, it is much appreciated. Could you tell me approximately what year it was used? It looks alot higher quality than the 1915 wwi helmets, my guess would be an M95. Also, the "Reich contingent" wappen, am I wrong to assume that that eagle was used in colonial function? As for the price, I got it for $550 us, so I would say I got a good deal.
    Thanks again,

Jess

Attachment 342204Attachment 342203

Jess..this is an M95 era haube.... The Pickelhaube was first used by the East African Schutztruppe as part of their home uniform in 1891 (04.06.1891 rules). Then it was dropped in the 1896 rules.... then brought back in 1916 ( the same year it was all but dropped by the regular army). All this was for home use only. I've not seen Pickelhaubes used in the colonies (Africa, that is). That style of "Reichsadler" was also uesd by the Police/Gendarmerie, now that's an entirely new sphere to go into......
    Prost ! Steve.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for all the information. I have dug up some pictures from a reference book featuring Pickelhaubes with that particular Reich Wappen I guess you would call it. Is that the proper name? All the reference pieces show an eagle similar to that little one on the above helmet but much larger. The examples I found refer to them being East Asiatic. I even once recall seeing an illustration of a battle during the Boxer Rebellion with German Soldier wearing helmets that feature that design. I have also included some images of colonial German dress swords, all sporting the same motif. The website that I found the sword on list their origins as Colonial East Asiatic Expeditionary Mounted Corps, Tsingtao Marines, Tsingtao Marines, East African Schutztruppe, and African senior NCOs in the Togo Polizeitruppe just to name a few. There are also s a number of great images at this website where I found the pictures German Colonial Uniforms - Swords of the Imperial German Colonial and Overseas Forces

I was just wondering if there is any possible connection between the two. I have never seen a home front helmet with such an eagle on it.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts,
    Jess

Help Identifying This Artillery PickelhaubeHelp Identifying This Artillery PickelhaubeHelp Identifying This Artillery PickelhaubeHelp Identifying This Artillery Pickelhaube

$550 for a mint condition Kugellhelm? Yes...I would have to agree-you did, indeed, get a fine deal! Nice find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

IMO it has no connection to Colonial troops...it is a Beamte helmet. The Colonial helmets you show use the larger Reichsadler to indicate German status rather than a State status, i.e. Prussian/Bavarian/Saxon etc etc.....very much like the Imperial Kaiserliche Marine (Navy) and its Seebatallions, drawn from all over Germany and not one particular State (they use a version of the Reichsadler), unlike the Army. I think you are looking for some thing that is not there.....
    Prost ! Steve.

Thank so much for the explination, I was confused about the use of the Reichsadler. I have certainly learned a lot about Beamte in the last two days. I found a nice illustration of Beamte ornaments on another forum which I'll post below. I also looked up on Wikipedia what exactly a Beamte is. It is an interesting system to have been set up in what was essentially an Oligarchy. Anyway, this all leads me to another question about the use of the small Reich wappen. Would this signify an officer on a Federal level representative rather than say a local or state officer which would be identified by a small version of the state's crest?

Thanks again,

Jess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast